We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking ban eyed.....

Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
smoking ban eyed.....

What do YOU think? Short of a comprehensive ban, what about designated smoking areas and beaches?

delmarvanow.com/article/…110208002

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
58 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

I don't smoke, but I think the concept of telling people that they cannot smoke outdoors is absolutely ridiculous.

Pittsburgh...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

Ban smoking all together. Non-smokers can smell it a mile away and it effects them and their families. Here is an idea, stop smoking.

Delaware
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

Too many times I have found a great spot on the beach, got all my 'stuff' set up, sit back... only to realize I'm downwind from a group of chain-smokers. The idea of a non-smoking beach is absolute heaven.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

I do not smoke. However everyone has a right to make their own choice. Personally I was fine with designated smoking areas in restaurants etc. When I was younger I did a lot of bar hopping and I wore contacts. URGHHHH.....talk about a hard time after about an hour in a smokey bar. Still it was my choice to go into that bar with the smokers. As soon as I walked in my door at home my clothes went into the washing machine and I hit the shower as I could not stand the smell.

I understand about second hand smoke and protecting workers etc. Well all I can say is if they do not want to get an education or work harder then others to get ahead then they will continue to work at a restaurant or bar for quite a while. We all have to do what we have to do.

For any government agency to intrude into the PRIVATE businesses for such a thing as smoking is to much for ME!

To go to banning smoking OUTSIDE is ILLEGAL. No one owns the air around us outside. Get real people. Do you really want government intruding into your life like this? What is next?

Personally kids pluck my nerves and raise my blood pressure. Should kids on the beach be banned because they are detrimental to my health and other peoples health? NO...we deal with it.

Edited: 05 March 2011, 17:38
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

It does not appear likely Rehoboth will ban all smoking on the beach in the short-term. Personally, I'd opt for designated beaches/areas.

As for such a ban being illegal, when Bethany passed theirs, many other beach communities who supported their decision took a "wait and see" stance, in part to find out if the ordinance would be legally challenged. To my knowledge, it hasn't yet.

Other beach towns have also banned smoking not only on the beaches and boardwalks, but in municipal parks and even near the doorways of offices and businesses. I'm sure sooner or later, this will be challenged and then we will have a legal precedent.

If they ultimately pass a comprehensive ban on beach smoking, I'd like the fine to be mandatory litter removal from the entire block of beach any smoker is caught using as an ashtray. Other smokers would first get warnings.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

I would say that the one pet peeve I do have is people who use the beach as an ash tray. My husband and I spend at least a 1/2 hour each time we leave the beach picking up butts and other trash surrounding us.

It would be nice if Beach Patrol/Life Guards could now ticket these inconsiderate people.

I would go along with designated smoking areas as well as a kid free zone...LOL

You know it really has surprised me that no one has challenged these town wide smoking bans. Do you know if VA or KY has tried open space bans?

We have companies that are telling employees to quit or be terminated. They can get away with this as there are only 5 States that are not "Employment at Will" States. Which basically means they can terminate you for any reason as long as it is not based on discrimination of race, age, gender, religion.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

Is it wrong to want to fart in the face of a smoker when their smoke chokes my fresh air and relaxing day on the beach? I think they would get annoyed at my excessive gas...imagine how I feel about their cancer causing smoke? I'm for the ban! Don't ruin my day on the beach.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

I believe in individual liberty, but until they invent a cigarette that doesn’t emit second hand smoke, the “right to smoke” should be limited to private enclosed accommodations. It’s bad enough that non-smokers have to pay a share of the health care expensive of those harmed by smoking and second hand smoke.

The main problem with smoking on the beach is that it is a nuisance and health hazard to those in the vicinity -- I’m puzzled as to why it is illegal to drink alcohol on the beach (harmless to others), but okay to smoke and pass second hand smoke on to others.

The other problems with cigarette smoking on the beach and boardwalk are property damage (burns) and environmental damage from the nasty cigarette butts.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

Since 80% of us don't smoke, then I say why do we have to breath the harmful second hand smoke of 20% of the population that do? They are polluting our beaches with their cigarette butts and helping to cause ALL of our health care costs to rise. This is a country of majority rules.

Rehoboth Beach Commissioners should vote to ban ALL smoking on the beach, boardwalk and parks. Smokers should only be able to smoke in designated areas.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smoking ban eyed.....

Done deal:

Effective May 15, you can no longer smoke in the city's five public park/playground areas. (April 20 Cape Gazette article). The fine is $25.

Rehoboth is not ready for a comprehensive ban, but this is a start.

You can still talk as loud as you want on your cell phone anywhere in DE except while driving....this is currently being enforced and the $50. fine can more than double with court fees. (Also in CG: 339 citations issued on April 21 alone).

Get answers to your questions about Rehoboth Beach