We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

6 posts
Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

Hi, I’m planning our family’s first snow spring break destination. We are looking for family snow activities other than skiing. Our children have never seen snow and we would love to introduce them to tubing, sledding, snowmobiling, etc. Recommendations as to where I should start looking will be greatly appreciated. I honestly think they’ll be happy just seeing snow and playing on it. Thank you very much before hand for your recommendations.

10 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

So are you definitely going to Steamboat? Or are you looking for recommendations for other areas to accomplish these goals? Virtually every ski area has tubing and snowmobiling nearby. Sledding is actually tricky, ski areas prohibit sledding but typically there are some local parks, however you probably need to purchase a sled, it is not an organized activity. How old are your children? You can also look at snow shoeing or cross country skiing. They are fairly inexpenisve and much easier to learn than downhill skiing. Steamboat is a wonderful town with many different lodging opportunities, it is very family friendly. In addition to the activities mentioned- there are bumper cars at the ice arena, 2 hot springs, ice climbing, dog sledding. Need more information from you to help- how many people? are you driving or flying? what is the budget? how many days?

Furlong PA
Level Contributor
893 posts
201 reviews
2. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

There are a whole bunch of "snow but not skiing" threads in the colorado forum. Don't pay ski town prices if you're not skiing.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
574 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

If you are interested in Steamboat, browse steamboat.com. Lots of information to plan a trip to Steamboat. If you are not sure where you are planning on visiting yet, you could browse Colorado.com and it may help you choose an area you would like to stay.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

Agree with previous posters. Steamboat definitely has snowmobiling and snowshoeing. But why not also try skiing? If your budget allows, Steamboat is a great place to learn to ski. Good beginners area at the base.

Also we assume you meant March 2019, not 2018 in the past.

6 posts
5. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

Thank very much for your response. Our daughter is 9 and our son is 8. We are flying in and then renting a car. My husband is set on Colorado as far as our destination goes. Since we are not skiing, I’m mainly looking for a location where we can see snow and still have fun with snow activities. Our budget is roughly $ 1500.00 dollars for lodging and activities.

6 posts
6. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

Thank you, I will look for threats right now!

6 posts
7. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

I ordered the State’s tourism guide, trying to gather as much information/recommendations. Thank you!

6 posts
8. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

Yes, thank you for that observation, I will update post, definitely March 2019.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
125 reviews
9. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

So if you choose Steamboat you have 2 options in terms of flying- one is Denver (DIA) which will be less expensive, however you will have a 4 hour drive through the mountains to Steamboat. Are you or husband comfortable driving in the snow on unfamiliar roads over mountain passes? If not you could take a shuttle from DIA to Steamboat and rent a car in Steamboat or use the free bus, most but not all lodging also have their own shuttles during ski season for in town transportation (they will drive you anywhere in town on call from about 8am-11pm). The second option is to fly into HDN (Hayden/Steamboat Springs) generally way more expensive but you are only 20-30 minutes away. You can rent a car from there or take a shuttle as well.

$1500 is not a huge budget for both lodging and activities in most CO towns that have snow activities. Snowmobiling for example is going to average out to close to $100 per person. Going to the hot springs is $45 per adult and $20 per child which includes transportation, in the winter you can not drive a rental vehicle to the hot springs, the road is unpaved and your rental contract would be voided. Even if you go intown to the old Town hot springs eliminating the need for transportation it is $18 for adults & $12 dollars for children, another $7 if you want to use the water slides & if you want to use the fitness facility it jumps to $24 per person. Tubing is $20-$32 per person depending on how long you want to do it. Bumper cars at the ice rink is $12 per person for 20min or $19 per person with ice skating. As for lodging, I did a couple of quick lodging searches for 6 nights starting March 10.: The least expensive options I could find through property management webistes & hotel websites were$164/night for Rabbit Ears Motel or $250/night for a condo in Storm Meadows, VBRO had some less expensive options but they were out of town (by like 20 miles), really small (studios claiming to sleep 6 people-skeptical) or extremely dated, they may very well work for you. Personally, I would want everyone to have their own real bed, not in a common area & be reasonably close to town but you may not. I think if you find something you like for under $200 you should snap it up. Average is going to be closer to $300/night at that time of year.

Hopefully this information is helpful.

6 posts
10. Re: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018

Thank you very much for your amazing input!!!

Reply to: Seeking Recommendations for Spring Visit March 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs