We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Steamboat Springs from airport in June 2019

Level Contributor
20 posts
44 reviews
Drive to Steamboat Springs from airport in June 2019

We are going to Steamboat Springs in June 2019. This will be our first trip to Colorado and have never driven in mountains, is it better to drive from Vail or Denver? We can fly Delta into Denver (our preferred airline) or it looks like American into Vail. I want the easiest drive to Steamboat Springs.

2 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,706 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Drive to Steamboat Springs from airport in June 2019

Welcome to the forum. For sure it's a far shorter drive from Eagle to Steamboat Springs than from Denver. You can do the drive from Eagle in under two hours and there is no mountain driving at all. It's a twisty turny river valley road up through Yampa. Very scenic.

But if you're coming to Colorado, why not take in some of the truly breathtaking scenery. The drive from Denver can be accomplished in several ways. The fast and functional route from Denver will take you west on I-70. It does have mountain driving. But those segments are mostly on four lane or six lane interstate. It's not complicated or difficult. Then you turn off I-70 at Silverthorne and take SR9 up to US40, over Rabbit Ears Pass and down to Steamboat. That's about a three-hour drive.

The other more scenic alternative would be to include Rocky Mountain National Park in your plan. Drive up to Estes Park, over Trail Ridge Road (very mountainous driving). Then follow the Colorado River valley on US40, over Rabbit Ears and into Steamboat Springs. That's a five hour drive but spectacular.

But to your first question, Eagle Airport is closer than Denver with no mountain passes at all.

Curious point. From where are you coming? Did you also look into flying to Steamboat (Hayden)?

Have fun.

Level Contributor
20 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Drive to Steamboat Springs from airport in June 2019

Thank You! Flying out of Jackson MS. I’m definitely looking into flying into Hayden too. It seems the flights are a lot more expensive right now.

Reply to: Drive to Steamboat Springs from airport in June 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs
Recent Conversations