We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)

Kenmore, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

Hello,

We just booked (6 adults) with LeBoat, 7 night Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne, boat Elegance for end of September. We have several questions that could help us to plan:

1. We are thinking about bikes to see more places and visit wineries.

- Do we need bikes to visit wineries or we could find some near canal with walking distance?

- Will we able to fit 6 bikes on the boat without been crumpled? I looking on boat pictures and could not figure out where to put them.

2. How long should take us from Trebes to Carcassonne? We need to know this to estimate if we could do it on first day if for some reasons we had to leave little late. How many locks between them?

3. Will we able to moor overnight in Carcassonne?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
19,796 posts
19 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

I bet the company you are hiring the boat from can help - however Trebes and Carcassonne experienced devastating floods overnight.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,731 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

Judging by the TV footage, devastating is an understatement.

Kenmore, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

I did not know about it. I checked YouTube and it is very bad. My understanding it is worst flood in the century.

For us I think it is too late to change plans. Our trip year from now. I am not sure if canal will be functional but all booked and paid.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
4. Re: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

The floods and devastation are terrible, my thoughts are with those affected.

As you trip is 12 months away, hopefully all will be restored for those affected and to get the Canal and tourism functioning again.

Re your trip- looking at my Guide Fluvial- Trèbes to Carcassonne is 12km and 7 locks. If you mean by your first day, the day you pick up the boat, then it may not be feasible to travel that distance and number of locks in the time you will likely have on the first afternoon, all depends on when you get away and if you end up in a group of other boats using the locks together. It takes time for the boat orientation, test driving and for you to provision the vessel, and can be impacted by how many other boats they are getting ready for departure.

Carcassonne has a marina/ port de plaisance (right at the train station) and you will have to pay to stay there, if there is room. When we stayed there a number of years ago we used free mooring canal side on the Trèbes side of the port, if it is still free and you can find a space, just pull up and peg in.

As I suggested before in another thread, you need to get one of the official waterways guides to do your planning. You can see on these maps how close canal side towns are or not. Most people rely on bikes to see points of interest away from the canal. A vessel for 6 will have bike space for 6 bikes, usually in racks on the foredeck.

Remember that in a 7 day trip you only have 5 full days and drop off is usually 9 am on the last day so you often have little option than to be at the base the final night. Consider that in your planning. From Carcassonne back past Trèbes to Narbonne it is about 63 km and 40 locks (I have included the actual number of locks not just the number of flights on the map as some are doubles and triples).

BTW this is the forum for the little town of Canals, not for general canal boating in France. It might help to post on the general France Forum or those specific to the areas you will pass through. :)

Edited: 2 years ago
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
68,638 posts
59 reviews
64 helpful votes
5. Re: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

If for any reason you cannot make the trip because of weather related events your travel insurance will come into play. But it's a year away, so no need to worry as yet. Although the flooding is obviously very severe many of the videos I've seen related to places north of Carcassonne, up in the hills. From what I read, a year's rain fell in one night. Nowhere can deal with that!

And yes Canals is a tiny village in the middle of nowhere. Post questions about Carcassonne in that forum, Narbonne also has its own.

(In French the plural of canal (ie the waterway) is canaux.)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

We had a week on the Canal du midi - Narbonne to Trebes 3 weeks ago. You can download a Le Boat app that will tell you all you need to know about locks and times between. You can stay at the Le boat bases (Trebes has one) with hook up for free, but you have to pay for any other hook up stops. Hard work at times but brilliant fun, we loved it.

The bikes aren’t best quality! but we enjoyed having them to explore. They just sat at the back of the boat, bike locked together.

Edited: 2 years ago
Kenmore, Washington
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Save

Thanks for advice about app. I could not see how it is possible to fit 6 bikes on the back of the boat.

Reply to: Trebes - Carcassonne - Narbonne (questions)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canals
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.