We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal Du Midi - best route for a 7-day trip?

Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
1 helpful vote
Canal Du Midi - best route for a 7-day trip?
Save

Hello, I'm currently researching a holiday in mid-late June on the Canal Du Midi, including reading through lots of really helpful posts on past TA threads!

It will be just me and my partner on the trip, both in our early-mid thirties, and it's out first every boating holiday. I've read that most of the locks are automated, so we don't mind there being too many of those to tackle. I've also read that June is likely to be quite busy, but won't be as overcrowded as July and August would be (fingers crossed!).

A bit walking and cycling appeals to us. In addition to enjoying the beautiful scenery and tree-lined canal views, we'd love to be able to stop off at little towns/villages and pubs along the way. We'd also be keen to see Carcassonne for the day, and interested to learn of any other worthwhile departure/end points or stops.

I'd be really grateful for any advice from people with firsthand experience on the canal about which routes might be best for an ideally one-way 7-day trip?

Thanks very much in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
27,077 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Canal Du Midi - best route for a 7-day trip?
Save

The route is the Canal du Midi. The options are where you start and finish. To me, the best part of the canal is from Bram to Béziers so I would recommend a one way itinerary between those two points.

Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Canal Du Midi - best route for a 7-day trip?
Save

Thanks very much for responding. I didn't express myself very clearly - I meant to ask where would be best to start and stop, so that's really helpful.

It looks like the best option we can find for our travel dates would be between Port Cassafières and Homps - hopefully that will make for a pleasant and scenic journey?

We're aiming to visit Carcassonne too, potentially at the end of our trip if we don't have time to visit on our boat journey (as it would involve doubling back on ourselves).

Thanks again!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
47 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Canal Du Midi - best route for a 7-day trip?
Save

Hi, we are also travelling at this time so I will 8nvestigate Bram to Breziers. Thank you. Which boat company would you recommend? There are 4 of us in our mid 70’s and 60’s. Thanks so. Uch.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
68,638 posts
59 reviews
64 helpful votes
4. Re: Canal Du Midi - best route for a 7-day trip?
Save

Wrong forum. Canals is the name of a tiny village in the middle of nowhere and it's far from the Canal du Midi. I suggest you ask in the general 'Occitanie' forum or maybe the Bram or Beziers forum.

Reply to: Canal Du Midi - best route for a 7-day trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canals
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.