We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nivernais Canal

Lakewood, Washington
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
Nivernais Canal
Save

I am almost ready to book a week on a canal for this summer but would love some confirmation first. We are looking at one week in late June with Le Boat on the Nivernais Canal starting in Tannay and ending in Migennes. Can anyone comment on that??

Thanks,

Bob

7 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
27,077 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Nivernais Canal
Save

It´s much easier to respond to a specific question. What type of information are you looking for?

Lakewood, Washington
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Nivernais Canal
Save

Actually I have two questions:

1) Is the Nivernais Canal an interesting route?

2) Has anyone had experience with Le Boat? good or bad?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Nivernais Canal
Save

You'd probably get better responses and info on the website cruisecritic.com.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,342 posts
20 reviews
47 helpful votes
4. Re: Nivernais Canal
Save

<<You'd probably get better responses and info on the website cruisecritic.com.>>

I don't think they cover self drive boats.

I can't comment on that stretch as it's still on our 'to do ' list. We've used Le Boat maybe 8 - 10 times on various waterways and never had a major problem.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
27,077 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Nivernais Canal
Save

I don´t think that Cruise Critic has a lot of information on cruises of this type; at least I have never seen it there.

I can say that Leboat is absolutely reliable and is one of the oldest companies operating. I have rented from them, when they were called Crown Blue, on numerous occasions.

The Nivernais has a many route options it would be difficult to comment without mentioning a specific route. Generally, Burgundy is very green (can be rainy) and rural. If your objective is wonderful scenery, the Nivernais is perfect. The canal runs through few communities meaning having a bike is essential to provision the boat.

You can obtain a map of the canal would might answer many of your questions:

http://www.fluvialnet.com/guide-fluvial-fluviacarte

http://www.vagnon.fr/categorie/nautisme/guides-nautiques/guides-de-navigation-fluviale/boutique.htm?lng=fr

https://www.carte-fluviale.com/en/waterways-guides/waterways-guides-sorted-by-numbers/produits/4-guide-n%C2%B002-loire-nivernais

Lakewood, Washington
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Nivernais Canal
Save

Thanks for all the information! We will be going between Tannay and Migennes. Good idea about the bikes!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,342 posts
20 reviews
47 helpful votes
7. Re: Nivernais Canal
Save

If this is your first boating experience my top tips are:

Get a decent sized boat, they're very cosy and a bit of extra space never goes amiss.

Don't be too ambitious with your cruising plans, you don't want to feel under pressure to travel a certain distance each day

Make sure you keep the boat stocked with the makings of a meal or two , and wine and cheese of course

Bring a couple of pairs of cheap gardening gloves for handling wet ropes etc

Reply to: Nivernais Canal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canals
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.