We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Canal?

Lakewood, Washington
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
Which Canal?
Save

We are in the process of planning a 7 day canal experience for summer 2018. It's going to have to be sometime between June 15-July 15.

There will be 4 of us - My wife and I and our 33 year old daughter and her husband.

While we enjoy nature, we really want to be able to explore several small towns and villages along the way as well as finding some excellent places to dine.

My concern: I've read a bit about the Canal du Midi and it sounds wonderful BUT I'm afraid it will be terribly crowded in the summer months. We don't mind a little crowding (it's all a matter of degree) but sure don't want to end up waiting in line for hours to get through some locks.

Any suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,342 posts
20 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Which Canal?
Save

There was a recent thread in this very subject, with some suggestions as to possible locations. I'll see if I can find it.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k10911515-1_Week_Boat_Hire_Which_Canal_is_Best-France.html#86745534

Lakewood, Washington
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Which Canal?
Save

Sorry - I should have checked first.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
27,077 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Which Canal?
Save

The place that best meets your criteria would be the Canal du Midi. There is only one place where you might experience a backup and that would be at the 9 locks of Fonserane near Béziers. This series of locks is one way and in summer the direction and opening times are set. Plan accordingly.

Otherwise you will not wait hours at locks if you wait at all. Lock passage generally goes quickly.

Hautes-Pyrenees...
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Which Canal?
Save

I know nothing about canals but the French school holidays begin on Saturday 7th July so if you can take your trip before then it should be quieter.

Reply to: Which Canal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canals
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.