We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal Du Midi

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
6 helpful votes
Canal Du Midi
Save

We are 2 ladies in our late 40s booked to arrive in Paris in mid June 2017 We want to travel down the Canal Du Midi, perhaps catching the train from Paris to Carcasonne then onwards. Originally we had thought we would cycle, however my friend has found through our recent practice that she is getting sore knees! So suggestions on how to enjoy the canal experience with not so much cycling?. We appreciate that self guiding the lochs on a boat is not easy? I still think an electric bike might suit my friend? We have around 7 days to travel the Canal and intend to go on further south after that to Toulon and look at the beautiful people of Monte Carlo, etc! We have healthy budgets and I gather 3 star accommodation is the norm down the canal. Our question is should we prebook, bike/boat/bus combo or make it up as we go along?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Kirsty

2 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Canal Du Midi
Save

Healthy budgets?

What don´t you take one of the many hotel barges that are available for traveling the Canal du Midi. Most itineraries are around 7 days and you would very likely have a great time.

http://www.gobarging.com/cruises-in-canal-du-midi

http://www.bargeladycruises.com/canal-du-midi

The barge lady has been around for a long time. An inquiry costs nothing and you find something of interest.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Canal Du Midi
Save

Thanks Sarastro. I will look at those 2 links and this afternoon with my friend. By healthy budgets I meant we like things to be luxurious but accept that we may have to settle for 3 star accommodation down the Canal. Thanks again.

Reply to: Canal Du Midi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canals
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.