We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations for COG Railway

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations for COG Railway

We will be in COS area mid-July and am looking forward to riding the COG Railway to the Pikes Peak Summit. I have read that we should make reservations in advance, how far in advance do we need to do this? A day or two or should we make those reservations now?

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations for COG Railway

Depends. The earlier you do it the better choice of times you will have. If you have a large group (I'll define that as greater than 6), I'd do it earlier. Why did I say 6? The seating configuration in a car is 5 seats across. 2 on the one side of the aisle, 3 on the other. If you want to sit together and you are going to take up more than 2 rows, do it earlier. However, getting reservations earlier does not guarantee better seats. We reserved more than a month in advance and had probably the worst seats on the train in terms of view. The better view by far is on the 3 seat side. However, if you are 2 or 4 people, you will not end up on the 3 seat side.

The other option is to watch the weather and make your reservations a couple days in advance for a clear day. The disadvantage is you may have less choice of times.

Most people recommend going as early as possible to lessen the possibility of cloud cover. Due to our schedule, we had to take the last train of the day. While we were up there some clouds rolled in and we could see them climb the mountain and go over top of us. That was pretty cool to see.

In any case, dress in layers or you'll spend your time on top in the gift shop. We were there in June 2010 and the temp at the base was in the 80s and at the top was 28. I wouldn't recommend shorts unless your legs are immune to cool temps.

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations for COG Railway

Thanks for the information.

3. Re: Reservations for COG Railway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Manitou Springs