We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer in Evergreen

kansas
Level Contributor
45 posts
50 reviews
35 helpful votes
Summer in Evergreen
Save

Any suggestions for things to see around Evergreen. We are staying in Evergreen for a show at Red Rocks but we are looking for the best place to watch fireworks on July 4th and if there are any must see things or must do things around Evergreen. We have a car and are not worried about driving somewhere either to check out awesome stuff!

Thanks for your tips!

6 replies to this topic
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
16,755 posts
128 reviews
95 helpful votes
1. Re: Summer in Evergreen
Save

A must see from Evergreen is the Mount Evans Scenic Byway and Mount Evans. Enter the byway near Bergen Park and exit at Idaho Springs. This drive is nerve-wracking but worth it. You drive to almost the summit of over 14,000 ft. Mount Evans. The last 1/4 mile to the actual summit, you walk. Along Squaw Pass Road as you approach Echo Lake, do not miss the overlooks at Eagles Aerie and Juniper Pass picnic areas. www.mountevans.com

Popular lunch spots in Idaho Springs include Tommyknockers, Two Brothers Deli and Beau Jo's.

Go early to avoid afternoon thunderstorms at the summit and to get a parking place.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,755 posts
128 reviews
95 helpful votes
2. Re: Summer in Evergreen
Save

There are several options for fireworks in Denver.

http://www.denver.org/what-to-do/museum-art/denver-4th-july

In Evergreen, check out the Music Festival.

http://www.evergreenmusicfestival.org/

Some areas have not released July 4th fireworks plans for 2013. Last year due to extreme fire danger and drought in Colorado, most fireworks displays were cancelled. Fortunately, Spring snow and rain have helped this year. I would think that Frisco (about an hour away) will be having fireworks this year over Frisco Bay at Lake Dillon.

You might want to check back later about July 4 when more towns have finalized plans.

Edited: 8 years ago
kansas
Level Contributor
45 posts
50 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Summer in Evergreen
Save

Thank You so much for you input fv1989. We are planning 2 days in Denver one of which we will be doing the Mount Evans scenic Byway drive. The other day we will be hitting up the science museum and zoo. We will then have 3 days based out of Evergreen which are unaccounted for thus far. Thanks for the suggestions for the music festival and fireworks! Hopefully we will figure something out and CO will get a little rain so it won't be such a fire hazard!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,755 posts
128 reviews
95 helpful votes
4. Re: Summer in Evergreen
Save

I know based on your earlier post you were planning to save RMNP for a later trip, but I would take a day trip to RMNP from Denver and then do the Mount Evans Scenic Byway from Evergreen. From Evergreen, the entrance to the byway at Squaw Pass Road is only 5 miles.

You also asked about wildflowers in July. With all the late spring snow and rain, RMNP should have really nice wildflowers this year. Golden Gate Canyon State Park is another place near Evergreen and Denver for wildflowers. You could make a loop trip from Evergreen to Georgetown over the Guanella Pass Scenic Byway to Grant and back to Evergreen. The Guanella Pass Scenic Byway should have a display of wildflowers.

kansas
Level Contributor
45 posts
50 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Summer in Evergreen
Save

Thank You so very much, fv1989! That is great. I think we will try to hit RMNP for a day. We managed to make it so we have an extra day. So we will be 2 days in Denver, 3 in Evergreen then 5 days unplanned to make a grand junction, durango, telluride loop.

Do you know of any dog boarding places in Evergreen or near there? I was hoping to take our dog and we will try to have dog friendly accomodations for the remainder of our trip but not the 3 nights we are in evergreen.

Thanks as always for the great tips and advice!!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,755 posts
128 reviews
95 helpful votes
6. Re: Summer in Evergreen
Save

I do not have personal experience with any dog boarding places in Evergreen. With my dog, I was always more comfortable using a boarding service affiliated with a veterinary clinic when I was in an unfamiliar area.

http://beaverbrookpetcenter.com/custom_content/c_164911_pet_boarding.html

http://www.mountainparksvet.com/site/view/121524_AdventureCampPetLodge.pml

Reply to: Summer in Evergreen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Evergreen
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.