We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen

Los Angeles
1 post
renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen
Save

We're being told there's only one car rental place open at 10pm, when we get in, & they don't have a 4-wheel drive for snow. Anyone know if we absolutely HAVE to have a 4-wheel drive? We've rented an Impala, just to have a heavy car. Or....anyone know of other car rental places at Denver airport open late?

Annie

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
1. Re: renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen
Save

excuse me?? I came into DIA at midnight (snowstorm delay) once and got my rental with no problem. I went to the desk inside the airport then took the shuttle to pickup. Keys were in the car.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen
Save

Hi. Evergreen is pretty spread out so depending on where you are going to be you may not need it. We have family there and have gone for the last 10 years usually in December. They live in the mountains and you can't get to the house without 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive. I personally don't buy the fact that no car rentals are open at 10 pm. You may have to do some more leg work, by contacting car agencies yourself... Denver is big enough that all of the agencies have desks there.

I hope this helps.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen
Save

Hi. Evergreen is pretty spread out so depending on where you are going to be you may not need it. We have family there and have gone for the last 10 years usually in December. They live in the mountains and you can't get to the house without 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive. I personally don't buy the fact that no car rentals are open at 10 pm. You may have to do some more leg work, by contacting car agencies yourself... Denver is big enough that all of the agencies have desks there.

I hope this helps.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
15 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen
Save

I've lived in Evergreen 17 years and if there is ANY way you can get an AWD/4WD, you really should. We had significant snow last week and our new neighbors from Idaho, after getting stuck 3x's in their FWD Acura, pulled into the driveway with their new AWD 2 days ago. Many of Evergreen neighborhoods, including ours, have very steep hills that FWD simply cannot climb if there is any snow on the ground. We have lots of plows, but they turn these steep hills into steep sheets of ice covered with gravel.

DIA is obviously a significant airport served by every car rental company and if you do more research it's hard to imagine you can't find an AWD somewhere. IMHO, worth the time, especially if we have snow when you are here.

Please feel free to let me know if you need any more help in Evergreen, restaurants, stuff to do, etc.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen
Save

I was under the impression that as long as planes are coming in, rental car companies are open. We've flown in to places arriving at horrible times of the night and still have been shuttled to the car rental place and have gotten a car.

Your biggest problem may be your time frame. When are you coming? The 4 wheel drive cars go fast. My husband and I own a boutique specialty car rental company and I've been amazed at how many call last minute this time of year, hoping to book an SUV. And by last minute, I mean a week out or more......

6. Re: renting a 4-wheel drive in wintery Evergreen

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Evergreen
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.