We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

Hello! We are definitely going to explore Tenorio from Heliconias Lodge. Since there are some hanging bridges for us to enjoy, shall we skip the Mistico Hanging Bridges when we get to Arenal? We only have two nights in Arenal. Thank you!

13 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

The hanging bridges at Heliconias Lodge are more rustic and these trails see a fraction of the tourists that show up at Mistico Hanging Bridges. The trails are muddier at Heliconias Lodge and it is not as upscale an operation but we did spot puma tracks and Heliconias and a good bit of wildlife - and that was without a guide.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

@crfan

I am impressed that you were able to identify Puma tracks! I like rustic and muddy better than "well-kept," anyway!

I was just wondering if the scenery at the Mistico location, as well as the greater number of bridges was a "do not miss" or if we have gone to Tenorio already, we're good with hanging bridges...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

There are youtube videos of parts of the bridges t each location. Have a look. We have been to Arenal Hanging Bridges (now Mistico) and enjoyed the hike. There are pretty views out across the valley toward Arenal . volcano from some of the bridges. If you do go consider a guide to help spot wildlife (if any) and go early morning.

Have not been to Heleconia....

Edited: 22 September 2016, 14:28
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

Thank you steverinoh! Great suggestion...

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
104 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

There are so different from each other. Tenorio are not touristy, smaller, rustic, simpler but some how "purer"

Where Mistico... yes, it is bigger, more touristy but the bridges are high and long, the views are breath taking, trails are manicured.

You are saying you have 2 nights in Arenal, You are going to Tenorio? (Rio Celeste) during your stay in Arenal or you will be staying in Tenorio Area?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

Hi Tico100

We have 3 nights at an AirBnb between Bagaces and Guayabo

Then thought we would drive through Tenorio on the way to our 2 nights in Arenal

then back to the beach/liberia area

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
104 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

If you are staying for 3 nights there, use 1 of the days to go and see Rio Celeste. There is a route from Guayabo to Canalete (UPALA) about 30 minutes and then from there to Rio Celeste.

There is really not a lot to do in the Guayabo area and lots to do in Arenal area. Go to Rio Celeste when you are in Guayabo and instead go to Venado caves on the way to Arenal.

Send me a message to send you directions and routes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

@Tico100

about your suggestion to do Rio Celeste and return to Guayabo...

google maps as the northern route from Guayabo to San jose to Canalete to Rio Celeste at 2 hrs 12 min, so that would be 4 1/2 hrs round trip!

I'm a little confused :(

Or could we do hiking from Heliconias AND Rio Celeste AND Vedano Caves ALL on the way to Arenal? With an early start?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
104 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

You do not have to go to San Jose, there is a road that takes you to Canelete directly. about 25 minutes.

Google maps is not the most reliable source when you are in a third world country.

You would be surprise how many roads show as paved and they are not or do not show at all and they exist.

Guayabo as a location is remote to get to other areas... either way you go, you will have to do a lot of driving.

make your priorities, Rio Celeste should be the one in that area. If you go early, you can do rio Celeste and Heliconias the same day.

Leave Venado for the day you drive to La Fortuna. There is a road that connects Venado wit Upper Monterrey and then down to La Fotuna. I want to make sure that ou understand that this roads that I am talking about.. every body knows them.

You just have to get to the place and ask.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico

Great!!!

Is there a certain road map I should pick up?

Reply to: Hanging bridges in Tenorio compared to Mistico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...