We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

Salt Lake City...
6 posts
Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

Samara beach-- wondering if it's still a lesser known gem? We will be doing the beach portion of our vacation from Jan. 3 -6 2017. I know this is high season, but looking for some calm in the madness while still being able to do fun stuff. We have 2 kids, ages 8 & 10. Want to do some surfing, sea kayaking snorkeling, etc. The other option I'm looking at is Santa Teresa further south--seemed like it still had surfing for kids, snorkeling, sea kayaking, etc. but less crowded. Though I read Samara has a soccer field in town, which my son would love. Wherever we've traveled--from Bolivia to S. Korea, he has enjoyed meeting up with local kids on the local soccer field.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

Well, by Jan. 3, the crowds will have left. Their garbage, however, will likely still be there. Just be prepared - this is just about the same in any coastal town that gets overrun during the holiday season.

Most of the soccer happens on the beach in the late afternoon - it's a lot more fun and a lot more scenic. Your son won't be able to miss it.

Playa Samara, Costa...
Level Contributor
951 posts
139 reviews
2. Re: Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

I agree with framptonian: the crowds usually leave after new years and although there will still be people, it will not feel crowded.

Have Fun…Brenda Dragonne, Owner and Founder of the Info Center in Samara & Carrillo

Knowlton, Canada
Level Contributor
975 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

Santa Teresa has much rougher waves -- not great for kayaking, snorkelling or surfing for kids. Samara is ideal for those kinds of things. I wouldn't say Santa Teresa would be any less busy. It's a much bigger town, though very spread out along a 4-km road that runs about 500 m inland from the beach. Not much on the beach itself there, though it is a very nice long beach. Samara on the other hand is compact and walkable and right on the beach, with lots of shade and little restaurants right on the sand.

Salt Lake City...
6 posts
4. Re: Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

Thanks everyone--super helpful. We're going to stick with Samra.

Knowlton, Canada
Level Contributor
975 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

Another fun activity on the beach is volleyball in front of Gusto restaurant, most afternoons from around 4 pm to sundown. If no one is playing, you can ask one of the Gusto waiters to borrow a volleyball.

6. Re: Is Playa de Samara crowded these days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...