We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tenorio or la paz?

california
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
tenorio or la paz?

We have 1 night to spare on our trip...should we go to peace lodge or rio celeste hideaway? Our main priority is to see monkeys and sloths.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: tenorio or la paz?

Do you want to see them in the wild (Tenorio) or in cages (LaPaz)?

Another great option to see multiple sloths and learn about them is to stay overnight at the Toucan Rescue Ranch about 45 minutes from the San Jose airport. You can have breakfast with the baby sloths and enjoy all the other animals onsite they have rescued.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: tenorio or la paz?

Very much depends on where you will stay the night before and the night after. If feasible I would go to Tenorio.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
260 reviews
3. Re: tenorio or la paz?

Check out the La Paz Waterfall Gardens and see if it's your kind of place. That's where the Peace Lodge is located. There are a lot of pics you can view. Fancy hotel with lots to do on the grounds, but some people think it's sort of like a theme park. They have a waterfall hike with five waterfalls, aviary, ranarium, butterfly house, handfeeding hummingbirds, etc. The rooms are over the top with waterfall showers, fireplaces, jacuzzis, etc. A lot of people love it; other people think it doesn't seem natural. You can also visit Poas Volcano in the area and do the Doka Coffee Estate tour. This area tends to have cooler weather. Tenorio has the beautiful Rio Celeste waterfall hike; the falls are a gorgeous blue color if it isn't raining. If it rains, I don't think there would be much to do there, but there's nice hiking in the park. We did see a sloth and capuchin monkeys when we were hiking, but it seemed hit or miss. Have not stayed at the Hideaway but stayed at their sister property Nayara, and it was very nice.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,235 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: tenorio or la paz?

IMO I would go with Tenorio, more natural in my book.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: tenorio or la paz?

Where would you be spending the previous night and where would you spend the following night? The two locations are quite far apart.

california
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: tenorio or la paz?

I would do 1 ight peace lodge, 3 nights arenal, 5 nights guanacaste...OR 3 nights arenal, 1 night tenorio, 5 nights guanacaste. flying into SJO and flying out of liberia.

Everyone's advice has been great! i'm just having such a hard time deciding!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
884 posts
286 reviews
7. Re: tenorio or la paz?

We love the Peace Lodge, and is always on our to do list when we visit Costa Rica. That being said, if you are a tree hugger, this is not your kind of place. If however, you would like a little comfort, and an environment conducive to love and intimacy, the Peace Lodge is definitely your kind of place. The rooms are few and very luxurious for reconnecting with you spouse or significant other. The grounds are open longer for the guests and are very nice without the crowds.

california
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: tenorio or la paz?

Thanks everyone! I will go with peace lodge!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
260 reviews
9. Re: tenorio or la paz?

If you get up early, you can do the waterfall hike before it's opens to the public. We did that and had the place to ourselves which was great. Just make sure you're not too early for the shuttle at the end; it will pick you up and bring you back to the lodge.

10. Re: tenorio or la paz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2018, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...