We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
43 reviews
More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Do we need a guide to do the hike?

I've read it's 3 1/2 hour hike. Is that one way or round trip?

Going in April, can we do it in our tevo sandals or tennis shoes, or should we invest in good hiking shoes?

10 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Not a sandals type of trail--waterproof hiking boots or rubber boots--the mud gets deep in some parts of the trail especially after it's rained.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Do we need a guide to do the hike?

When we last hiked in March 2017 it was roughly a 2 - 2.5 hour hike round trip. But it all depends on how long you hang out at the base of the waterfall and at the end point of the hike before turning back.

We got lucky and hit a dry spell and hiked in Teva type sandals but came back with some mud. Most reports are for far muddier conditions than we encountered. My personal preference is to use my beat up old hiking shoes for those occasions and I’e thrown away several old pairs after they were encased in mud. New hiking boots are a serious mistake if you don’t have time to break them in.

A nice place
Level Contributor
935 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

You can do the hike without a guide, but not in sandals. I have done the hike with and without a guide. Our guide was very knowledgeable and showed us snakes and other animals that we wouldn’t have noticed without his help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

It's definitely not for sandals or even sneakers. We had hiking boots and even they were barely high enough. They rent rubber boots right near the entrance to the park, which might make more sense than buying hiking boots just for this.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

How much was the boot rental?

Did they have all sizes? Did they have traction or did you slip around in them?

Thanks!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
71 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Hi, I have hiked it twice. The boot rental is only suggested in the rainy season when it gets very muddy and you must cross some elevated streams. Otherwise, normal hiking shows are fine. Keen type of sandals are probably okay. The trail to the waterfall is well worn. In April, the weather is generally drier, though rains can occur at anytime. When you arrive in the area, check with your lodge on the conditions. They will generally know. I recommend a guide to learn some things. My guide pointed out birds, snakes, other wildlife that I would have missed.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Though pretty much the entire calendar year is the rainy season in that area. We spent 5 nights there in February--which is supposed to be the dry season--and we could count the amount of sunlight in minutes, not hours. As in about 45 minutes for the entire 5 day span. Trail was a quagmire, and the river coloration was pretty lame to boot (kind of a pale greenish color).

Point being, you're never safe with regard to the weather--or trail conditions--in areas like Tenorio.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Yes, I have already done this hike and it was not the rainy season. I'm interested in the boots because I have balance issues. I remember places where you can avoid the slippery rock hopping if you waded through shallow water. It's hard to bring yourself to do that, no matter what kind of shoes you have on.

Boots, maybe.

How much was the boot rental?

Did they have all sizes? Did they have traction or did you slip around in them?

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
156 reviews
9. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

FYI

www.casitastenorio.com/contact-us/faqs-2/

https://lacarolinalodge.com/seasons/

Because you are closer to the Pacific north does not mean February is the driest season. This area is moreinfluenced by Caribbean side weather.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste

Thank you to all for the helpful information!

Is there a way to know what the conditions on the trail are like before attempting the hike?

I can't imagine doing a three hour hike in rental boots. That sounds like a lot of blisters for me.

Reply to: More ???'s regarding Rio Celeste
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...