We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

We are staying in a Villa in Nuevo Arenal near the Gingerbread Restaurant. We have a rental car and want to hike Rio Celeste. What is the best way to drive there? I was hoping we did not have to drive back to La Fortuna to get there. In addition, do you need 4 wheel drive to get there from Nuevo Arenal in April.

Thanks, Amy

10 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

We did that exact drive but it was a few years ago. We did not have to pass through La Fortuna. There were some pretty rough roads, though. We had a sedan and it made us very nervous. Do you have a host in Nuevo Arenal who will answer questions for you?

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

I emailed him a few days ago but haven't heard back yet. I read an old TA post with some vague directions so I think it can be done but wanted more specifics. I was really wondering if we needed 4 wheel drive though. We aren't going during the rainy season but I just wasn't sure. Thanks for your input

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

Nuevo Arenal to Tilaran to Canas to Bijagua. Roads are in great condition. Entrance to the national park is just past Bijagua. A portion of that road is not paved but the steepest sections are. There is a cutoff that shortens this route, but it is not paved full way and I would only try it if a local can assure you its been recently graded.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

crfan makes a good point. Road conditions change seasonally. The rough parts we encountered a few years ago were apparently in great shape a few months before then.

I always recommend an SUV. It's not for the 4WD; it's for the clearance. ALl it takes is one rock to puncture your gas tank.

Whenever you set out on your own, you should have a GPS or Waze AND a good paper map. You never know when you may take a wrong turn, either by accident or on purpose.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

2016 the road from Bijaqua to the Tenorio ranger station was slow going but passable in our Hyundai 2WD Tucson SUV. . Roads to Bijaqua were fine. The sign for the right turn off the highway in Bijaqua to Tenorio was not that obvious and we missed it. Rio Celeste is quite a spot !!

May be "old" info on road conditions but doubtful much has changed

Enjoy

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
157 reviews
6. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

The road from Bijagua to the Tenorio ranger station is in great shape now. paved mostly. Was there Sept 2017 and couldn't believe my eyes.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

Thank you. This was helpful. I will avoid 927 unless a local says it's ok. Do you know approximately how long it will take to get there follows your route?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

Tenorio closed?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29198…

Hope this is temporary and you get to visit Rio Celeste

Edited: 12 January 2018, 19:44
Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

Me too

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal

Check that same post again. Now it's supposed to be open tomorrow.

BTW. Is Gilligan's on the water still open?

Reply to: driving to Rio Celeste from Nuevo Arenal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...