We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September

Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
63 reviews
September

Hello,

We are a family with teenagers and children ages 6 and 8. We will be traveling in September and have three priorities. 1. Hot springs 2. Wildlife including monkeys 3. Rio Celeste if accessible.

We were thinking of tenorio and rincon each for 2 days. How rainy is rainy season? Anyone have ideas? Thank you!

Jodi

9 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,086 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: September

It will rain, how much when you will be there depends and no-one could know. I would stay all 4 days/nights in La Fortuna, as it is the best base for all your needs.

Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: September

Thank you!

los angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: September

Hi Jody, we are staying in the Rio Celeste area right now with our 2 kids - 14 and 10. We have 3 nights, 2 days. First night we arrived in time for dinner. Next day, weather was great for hiking in tenorio. Not sunny, but warm and dry. That night (last night)it started pouring and rained all day today too. Wish we had left today. There really is nothing to do in the heavy rain and the kids have cabin fever. No way to predict the weather but limit your time in remote areas in case of bad weather. You could hike in the rain but it can be really heavy and causes dangerous hiking conditions imo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,657 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: September

Only God knows how wet will be but one thing is true…it is worth it to take the chance..

roadadvisor

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
5. Re: September

I agree with roadadvisor .. god only knows how wet it will be. First time I visited the Rio Celeste area when driven from the airport I was told at a certain point that we were now crossing the divide and were considered to be on the Caribbean side. You could really feel the difference in climate.

Best time to visit "The driest months are March and April and August through to October. " This is from Casitas Tenorio . My thoughts are September will be a great time. This is coming from people that live in the area.

I'm taking the chance and spending 7 nights in the area in September.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: September

Sept. should be the sunniest weather on the Caribbean side. If you go to Cahuita, for ex., you r guaranteed lots of monkeys - 3 of the 4 kinds in CR, but mostly howlers (heard and seen), capuchins and possibly spider ones. Also sloths, toucans, etc.

Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: September

Thank you for your post!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: September

You should schedule the volunteer tour at Proyecto ASIS. This is a wonderful wildlife rescue facility and you will hold hands with a monkey. They do great work and are the highest rated activity near Arenal.

Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: September

Thank you!

Reply to: September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...