We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Celeste Day Trip

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
744 posts
33 reviews
Rio Celeste Day Trip

Hello:

Still planning my ten day trip to Costa Rica, and the first part of our trip would be around three days in La Fortuna doing all the fun stuff before heading to beaches. However, was wondering if it would be worth it to add a day and do a day trip to Rio Celeste. Is it worth it? Don't get me wrong the images look beautiful and I am intrigued by the area, but after doing a waterfall and other hiking in La Fortuna, and hearing the Rio Celeste day trip would be long (?) is it worth it to look into doing a day tour? IF yes, would anyone know of any reputable companies that could organize this?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

17 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

We were there in March several years ago, and for us, yes it was worth staying an extra day to see Rio Celeste. We had a rental car, so we drove there from our rental house. We stopped and ate at Gingerbread Restaurant on the way home. It was an incredible day and a highlight of our trip for the entire family. It's a very different experience than La Fortuna waterfalls as the drive is a bit of adventure and it's a long hike through the forest to get to the falls. Because we did it on our own, I don't have any advice for you regarding a reputable company to help get you there.

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
744 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

CrazyHouseMN - Thank you for responding.. that helps. We are trying to avoid having to rent a car that's why I am looking for a day trip tour company to take us from La fortuna and back... because La Fortuna might be a good hub for us to get to our next destination which would either be Tamarindo OR Samara

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
264 reviews
3. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

Desafio is a great company. They will take you there and back from La Fortuna. It took us about two hours to get there. Don't go if it's raining though because it gets muddy, and you won't see the beautiful blue color. Otherwise, it's fantastic and worth the trip. We like Fortuna Falls too, but they're so different that I think both are worth doing. We saw a sloth and some capuchin monkeys while hiking to Rio Celeste.

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
744 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

Volcanogirl - thank you for your response

https://www.desafiocostarica.com/tours-detai…

Youre referring to this one?

Also, based on what you are saying, I should not book this until I am in costa rica, and make a decision based on the weather.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
264 reviews
5. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

Yes, that's the correct company, but it looks like you picked to leave from the Guanacaste area rather than La Fortuna. We left from Fortuna, so we didn't pay that much.

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
744 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

No I would be leaving from la fortuna... I don't know how to change the origin location!

Cardiff CA
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

I am not an expert but have been to CR 5 times. I am 59 and a woman. I would look into renting a car in La Fortuna and then stop at Rio Celeste on the drive to the next location. Return the car when you arrive at the next location. This is assuming the next location is on the west coast. It will be a long day but worth it. Rio Celeste can easily be done on your own. The only reason for a tour would be for the driver. I agree with the prior weather comments.

OTTAWA
Level Contributor
744 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

Well, we were trying to avoid having to rent a car!

So we were going to try to get to our next destination otherwise, which is why I was looking in to a day tour to rio celeste..

Im still not sure how I will be getting from La Fortuna to Tamarindo or Playa Samara. Do you know if there are any flights?

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

No flights to Samara. No direct flights from La Fortuna to Tamarindo. You'd have to fly to SJO then hustle to make the last flight to Tamarindo. This is for Nature Air....you can also check Sansa schedules.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
264 reviews
10. Re: Rio Celeste Day Trip

Dee, go to the Desafio site and search by Arenal/La Fortuna; you can search by area so you get the correct tour and price.

Reply to: Rio Celeste Day Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...