We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with June Trip

iowa
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with June Trip

We are taking our entire family to Colorado in early June.

Are home base will be Fairplay (we've rented a house there).

We would like to find a place for Whitewater Rafting-any suggestions on good place to go.

Also, wanting to try Captain Zipline in Salida.

We have 3 boys who also like climbing around on rocks. We've been to Allevial Fan in Estes and they loved that. Are there any places around area that would be good for just climbing around?

Any other suggestions for places to go in Buena Vista, Salida, Leadville area or surrounding would be much appreciated. We've got mostly older kids coming 15,18,21 but also an 8 and 3 year old.

Thanks for any suggestions to help us start!

13 replies to this topic
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with June Trip

Big kids and adults certainly will like mountain ziplining. Salida itself is fun little town on the Arknsas River, where you will find good rafting, fishing, hiking, different restaurants, art galleries and hot springs pool. You can spend some time there easily: http://salida.com/

I know Canyon Marine Whitewater Rafting in Salida, Ann is the lady to talk.

I also love Monarch Pass area, it's just 20 minutes away from Salida. You can spot lots of wildlife there and it's just beautiful.

Mount Princeton hot springs are close by, and this place is MUST for kids of any age.

There's also Texas Creek Play-it-dirty ATV company close to Salida.

iowa
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with June Trip

Thank you for your response and help!

I was wondering if you could tell me if the Mt. Princeton hot springs are open to the public. All i'm finding online is a resort where you stay that has the hot springs. Is there another area that is open to the public?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with June Trip

Yes, it is open to the public. You don't have to stay there, you can come for a swim and soak on any day.

Here's their website: http://www.mtprinceton.com/

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with June Trip

Is there a charge?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with June Trip

Yes, sure, there's a daily charge, you can find all the info here http://www.mtprinceton.com/

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with June Trip

Buena Vista will be your best bet for rafting. There are a number of companies.

You'll want to take the kids to see St Elmo ghost town and hike to Agnes Vaille Falls, very close to Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. (At St. Elmo, you'll see lots of people feeding the chipmunks and ground squirrels, but please don't let your kids do it. They look cute but are wild and I saw a guy get bit when we were there last.)

You probably know about South Park City in Fairplay. That would be a must.

Also, have you checked the Fairplay calendar? They might have something going on in the area while you are there, like the TGIFairplay free concerts.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with June Trip

What is South Park City and why is it must? I've never heard about it.

Thanks MisspWestSlopes.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with June Trip

South Park City is a museum in the form of an 1880's mining town, authentically restored. Many of the mining camps and towns were abandoned and in disrepair, and in the 1950's. Leon Snyder and Everett Bair organized the South Park Historical Society, which decided the best way to save some of the old buildings and their heritage was to move them to a central location so they could be restored and have police and fire protection.

http://www.southparkcity.org/

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with June Trip

Rynechick-

I was interested in a day pass to the hot springs also and can't find a price anywhere on their site. I'm sure I'm just missing it, but I even tried the search tool. Do you know what area of their site shows day pass prices? Thanks.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with June Trip

You are right. Their prices are no where on the site..I just looked.

For adults it's $15 Sun-Thurs, and $18 Friday-Sat.

Reply to: Help with June Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buena Vista