We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Is there someplace to get groceries between Sonora and Yosemite? We will be heading into the park(s) for 1 week and want to stock up. We will be looking for produce, sandwich things, meat, eggs. We prefer things that are more to the natural, free range, organic side of things.

Thanks,

17 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,833 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Check out Mar-Val Foods in Groveland:

http://www.marvalfoodstores.com/locations.php

kentucky
Level Contributor
503 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Has anyone shopped at this Mar Val? It is a whole lot closer to Yosemite, than Oakdale. Is there a deli? We need tons of food to feed 10 people and I hate to haul frozen goods, refrigerated foods... 2 hours from Oakdale.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Did you read the link that november_moon gave in her Aug 26 message? I don't think you are going to do any better than that. Mar Val in Groveland not only has a deli, but a bakery as well., and their produce is fresh.

Edited: 26 September 2014, 21:50
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Just my gut feeling but I would bet a small independent market in Groveland will be quite a bit more expensive than a large supermarket in Oakdale. Especially if you're buying (tons of food) for 10. I don't think anything will go bad or defrost in an hour or two but if you're worried buy a cheap cooler and some ice.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Yes, surely if you are there in the park for a week, you'll want a cooler (or two or three!). They have the styrofoam ones in the large stores. I'd definitely shop in a larger place. You could run out of food for ten at a small market and then you'd be forced to shop at the Yosemite store (those prices will shock).

You'll have to keep the coolers in the bear box unless you are staying at a lodge.

A cooler in your car in the daytime is OK, but not at night.

kentucky
Level Contributor
503 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Thanks for the replies. I did see the link and it looks good to me, but no one ever recommends the place on these boards . Of course the Co, Website is going to make it look good. Have any of you all that commented actually been there? I would love to have some info from someone who has actually shopped there.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

Mar Val is a chain with 7 locations in the area west of Yosemite. The Groveland store's weekly ad shows very reasonable prices. Actually lower than my regular market here.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,981 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

I sent a message to the former Yosemite DE who used to live in Groveland, but I don't think she's on TA much any more.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

We stocked up mostly at Safeway in Sonora. The produce selection at the grocery store in the valley is not bad at all and still cheaper than buying a restaurant meal.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,833 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite

The OP was looking for a place specifically between Sonora and Yosemite Valley that had organic and free range options. That's why I suggested this store specifically. There aren't a ton of choices between these areas. I have been to this store, but not recently.

Since you are coming from farther away, you have more choices. I am not familiar with Oakdale, so I don't know if the choices there are better than Groveland, but shopping 2 hours away shouldn't be too much of an issue, even with frozen foods if you have a cooler.

Reply to: Groceries between Sonora and Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sonora