We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Passes

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
The Passes

Which is better to go over at the end of May, the Sonora Pass or the Tioga Pass and would there be any snow Mobile Hire/riding available at either pass?

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
40 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: The Passes

I just went to both places 2 days ago and this is my opinion

Sonora pass: I didn't see many hiking places in sonora pass or clear areas ... at least not apparent from the road... Having said that, there was a lot of snow there on the mountains.

Tioga pass: Half of the lakes were still frozen so you can imagine there was A LOT OF SNOW... plus there are many great hikes there ( pothole dome, lambert dome, meadows etc) so my preference would be tioga pass... Also there are more chance of facilities you expect at tioga than in sonora pass...

Be aware that at the end of may, there would be less snow on both places comparatively

Edited: 06 May 2014, 16:54
LA
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
1 review
2. Re: The Passes

No snowmobiling.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: The Passes

Snowmobiling is very popular at the Sonora Pass after it opens. However, it is strickly bring your own. There is no place to Hire (rent). If I had never driven over either Sonora Pass or Tioga Pass, I would pick Tioga Pass. In my opinion it is the most scenic drive over all the passes in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

LA
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
1 review
4. Re: The Passes

Tioga is far better than Sonora.

Drove Sonora last fall, from east to west side because Tioga was closed from the Rim Fire. Took 6+ hours from Lake Tahoe to get to Yosemite valley and swore I would never ever do that again.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: The Passes

awesome thanks very much for your replies, anything I should know about the drive from LA, is there a particular way to go or just the main route that Google gives me?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
368 reviews
6. Re: The Passes

With Tioga you need to pay for entry to Yosemite National Park, but great scenery.

7. Re: The Passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2018, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Sonora