We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
543 posts
36 reviews
Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

I have reservations at a motel in Sonora prior to going to Yosemite on May 8 and 9th.

I understand Rt 120 is closed and I'm thinking I should cancel my reservations in Sonora and drive on to Mariposa and hopefully find a room there prior to entering the park on Rt. 140.

Could you tell me the driving time from Sonora to Mariposa?

Any indications that the Rt 120 entrance will be open by May 8th?

6 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,148 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

Google maps is pretty good for drive times. https://goo.gl/maps/NMTYRj4MzB62

I heard that Big Oak Flat Road doesn't have a reopening date, but the unofficial goal is Memorial Day weekend.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
543 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

Am I being unrealistic to do the following:

Leave Sonora around 7 am on Tuesday, may 9 and drive to Yosemite Valley via the south El Portal entrance. Spend the day touring the Valley and looking at the falls. At the end of the day, return to Sonora exiting via the south entrance.

We were at Yosemite last October but did not see any falls. So, I am only interested in a day trip to see the falls, and maybe walk around the Valley....and maybe an easy hike somewhere in the valley.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,148 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

Hi

I recommend reposting on the Yosemite forum. There are some Top Questions topics that will help. (This forum is just about Sonora.)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

It'll be a long day but quite doable. I live about 3 hours from the park and make multiple day trips through the year. It's the most beautiful spot on the planet so it's no problem driving that far!

Hopefully the 120 will be open to save you some time. Hwy 49 from Coulterville to Mariposa is a narrow 2 lane road that follows the old miners trail. Beautiful views, there's a section of the road called the Dragons Back. (Look at a map you'll see it)

Since your in Sonora will you have time to head over to Calaveras Big Trees just above Murphys on Hwy 4?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
543 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

We did Calaveras Big Trees last year. Only want a quick trip to the Valley to see the Falls and get one more glimce of all that beauty.

I know the Mileage from Senora to the Valley via El Portal, but just how many hrs do u think it will take because of the narrow windy rds.

I pray that Rt 120 will b open, but I'm not banking on it from everything I read.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,148 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Need Help for our Yosemite Trip

I'd guess it would be 2.5 - 3 hours to the closest parking (west of Yosemite Valley Lodge.) The road construction in the Valley may add another 15 minutes.

But you'd probably want to detour to Tunnel View and then to Bridalveil Fall on entry (one way roads) so it may be 4 hours from the time you leave your Sonora lodging till you park in Yosemite Valley.

Reply to: Need Help for our Yosemite Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sonora