We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine country house rental?

lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
wine country house rental?

We don't care Napa, Sonoma or anywhere driving distance from San Francisco, just somewhere close to restaurants, and things to do with kids. It is 6 adults and 3 kids. Would like something more upscale. A pool would be nice but not necessary. Any suggestions?

Sonoma
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: wine country house rental?

Runningwood is your place. Runningwood.org

covington,la
Level Contributor
799 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine country house rental?

I have been looking at some really nice places at VRBO.com (vacation rental by owner). BIG selection all over the region.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine country house rental?

A rental you might consider is Black Sterling Villa (10kvacationrentals.com/lodging/…) loc'd in the Carneros area. It's a gated property and is a modern Mediterranean-style mansion on acreage with 5 bedrms. plus a den, pool and jacuzzi. Nice location close to wineries, but you will have to drive about 6 or 7 mi. to get to the Sonoma Plaza area (restaurants, shops, etc.)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wine country house rental?

Try RRGetaways.com. They have some awesome rentals in the Sonoma area.

Healdsburg
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine country house rental?

www.beautiful-places.com

www.sonomacountyvacations.com

second vote for www.vrbo.com

california
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: wine country house rental?

Just saw your post....not sure if you already made your plans but don't stay at Black Sterling Villa. We stayed there back in December and it was really dirty and run down. There were rodents in the walls of the master bedroom that kept us up at night. The windows, barbeque and jacuzzi were dirty and/or run down. There was lumber and garbage in a heap in the backyard and on the upper deck from some demolition they had been doing.

It also took 2 reminder emails and FIVE months to get our deposit back!

sonoma
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: wine country house rental?

This is an inaccurate post. I am the owner of the

Black Sterling Villa, and we have not had any construction or

demolition at all on the premises of the Villa in the last year. We

DID place a tarp on the floor of the very top deck durng torrential

rains in December, in order to make sure all the water ran off the

deck, and not into the home.This poster states that their rental was

in december, and it it took 5 months for thhe return of their deposit,

but that does not quite make sense, if their rental was in DECEMBER,

and their post was in APRIL, five months had not even elapsed at the

time of theeir post. We automatically refund deposits 30 days

following a guests departure date, if our home is left in the same

condition as found.This post is not an accurate reflection of our

home. Kind Regards,

janna Goldman

Owner of the Black Sterling Villa and

Vinyard Estate

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wine country house rental?

Re: Black Sterling Villa.

Hmmm, a couple of 1st time posters. Who are we to believe? I say neither one because there is always more to each story. Negative 1st timers with defensive 1st timer follow up have the feel that each party has an axe to grind.

Off setting penalties, play continues...

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: wine country house rental?

We stayed at the Black Sterling Villa a little over a year ago and really enjoyed it. Was it a five star home? No. It has the normal wear and tear of a rental property but nothing that makes the stay any less pleasant. Our group loved the large balcony patio, kitchen, and master bedroom. The house is 10 minutes from Sonoma Square and a short ride along Carneros Highway to Napa. If you don't care about where you stay (Sonoma/Napa) you should consider this property.

Austin
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: wine country house rental?

I use trip advisor all the time but never post. This is important info that I feel that I need to share...

My friends and I stayed at Black Sterling Villa in April 2007 for 5 days for a girls trip. We are a group of 6 professional women in our 30s. We have traveled extensively but we are not high maintenance and we have reasonable expectations when it comes to accommodations. We originally had reservations at the Vintage Inn in Yountville but elected to get a house together and to stay at Black Sterling based on the advertised information that we found on homeaway.com.

We felt that there were numerous misrepresentations in the property info and we did not enjoy the accomodations.

Several examples:

1. Property was dirty and VERY rough around the edges. Stained carpet, dirty countertops, empty beer bottle under master bath sink

2. There were signs of rodents in the property

3. The bed and bath linens were old, gross, and smelled moldy.

4. Old, nasty furniture throughout. It was like random pieces from a Goodwill store...

5. The pool was green/disgusting and not available for use

6. The outdoor rails were covered in bird crap (the outdoor area was really the only nice aspect of the property but it was hard to enjoy the view and ambiance with bird droppings everywhere)

7. This is not a 5 bedroom property. There were really only 3 private bedrooms, one futon in an open loft area, and a fold out in a weird horse blanket storage room.

The owner also stopped by the first day of our stay

(unannounced). She presumably was checking up on us. We were surprised that she came through the garage and did not knock/introduce herself.

The owner was slow to return the security deposit (it was about a month which is the norm for a long term lease and ridiculous for a vacation rental) She was cranky about it when we followed up. The $150 cleaning fee was a joke since we left the property cleaner than it was when we arrived.

Not recommended