We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

We will be visiting with friends in Santa Rosa for about 3 weeks this coming March. Since this will probably be the only California trip I will ever have I want to do as much as possible. I see Yosemite National Park is about a 4 hour drive away. Would it be possible to be able to drive through the park in the middle of March? I've seen some videos and I know there is activities such as skiing--however all I want to be able to do is just drive, see some scenery and be able to say I've been to Yosemite. Can anyone give me some insight as to this being possible? If so,how should we prepare? I'm assuming winter clothes is a must--even just staying in the car (we are coming from Michigan so bringing our winter duds wouldn't be all that hard) but any other information would be greatly appreciated. Any thoughts about this being possible or is it just plain nuts??

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,112 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

Hi there again. If you are on a desktop computer, look at the top questions on the right and read about visiting in the winter and some trip reports. There may or may not be a lot of snow in March. But it will be cold enough you need some warm clothing.

Are you thinking of a day trip? It's very long. Book a room at the Lodge at Yosemite Falls. We usually camp there most summers but have stayed at the Lodge a few times in the winter, once in March. We drove around and walked around taking in the much quieter and serene park. We parked the car at the lot at Cook's Meadow and admired the frozen Upper Yosemite Falls. Parking here is impossible in the summer! While at the lot, walk over to the Sentinel Bridge for the classic Half Dome photo. Top off with dinner at the Mountain Room at the Lodge or at the Ahwahnee Dining Room with drinks by the warm fire.

Do visit and stay the night! Read about driving in winter and chains etc. Enjoy your trip mp.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,112 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

You posted in the Santa Rosa forum. The info on the Top Questions is on the Yosemite forum.

It's not nuts at all to want to go, though doing a day trip might constitute as such...

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,786 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

Here is a direct link: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315-Yosemi…

Great time to visit! Check out the topic in the Top Questions about Planning a Winter Visit (yes, March is winter.) Read about tire chains. Read some Trip Reports from late winter.

You can have a marvelous visit. I'll watch for your new topic on the Yosemite forum and will offer feedback to your questions.

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,814 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

I wouldn't consider it for a day trip. If the Lodge at the Falls doesn't work for you for whatever reason, look at other nearby motels as well (look at the Yosemite listings).

However, if you're here for 3 weeks, why not stay for a few nights? Maybe visit Tahoe as well or something?

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

Thank you all so much for the replies--I'll check out the Yosemite forum and read everything you suggested. Would definitely consider an overnight visit to the park. Once again thank you--you've all been so helpful.

6. Re: Going to Yosemite National Park from Santa Rosa in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2017, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa