We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Rosa 36 hours

Dallas
Level Contributor
54 posts
46 reviews
Santa Rosa 36 hours

We are planning a trip next June (mid-month) and flying into Santa Rosa prior to heading up the Oregon coast. We will be in Santa Rosa (or close) landing mid day and staying 2 nights. I am completely dumbfounded on where to stay while there. We plan to hit a couple wineries (heavy reds if you have any recommendations) and also try and see some of the redwoods while we are there as well. We will leave after 2nd night probably rather early and head up the coast.

Don't mind grabbing rental car and heading up coast the first day if you recommend that...but trying to see where would be a good launching point to do some wineries as well as the redwoods and then pretty much get outta town on Highway 101 up to Humboldt/Myers Flat, and then over to coastline and take Hwy. 1 perhaps in Eureka?

We are completely open to whatever is recommended...don't need high dollar resort, would be fine in basic hotel to sleep in, as long as relatively clean, ha.

Hoping to see what you think and see if we can map this initial part of this trip up. I'll start another thread about Oregon coastline in a thread where folks might know that area, but if you like you can offer suggestions there as well.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,486 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

I would stay in Healdsburg, 10 miles or so north of Santa Rosa, off 101. It is a cute town, build around a plaza, with shops and wine tasting. It is not very far from Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve, which is at Guerneville, and easy drive back and forth. It is also the gateway to the Alexander and Dry Creek wine valleys.

There is a Best Western in Healdsburg, not too far from the Plaza, which is reasonably priced. I don't remember its exact name, but someone will be along who does.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,486 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

You said <<< We will leave after 2nd night probably rather early and head up the coast.<<<

You realize that Hwy 101 is not on the coast? Hwy 1 is the coast road.

You can get on it from Healdsburg by taking Westside Road to Guerneville (going past Armstrong Grove) and following 116 to the coast at Jenner.

Or you can go north on 101 from Healdsburg to Cloverdale and then take 128 over to the coast south of Mendocino. This is a nice road through wine country and you go through some redwoods just before the coast.

I don't know the "Humboldt/Meyers Flat" route, but you will not be on the coast for quite awhile if you wait that long.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

Check out Schultz museum if you like Peanuts history.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
705 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

Mind if I ask why you've chosen to fly into Santa Rosa? It seems an unlikely choice from Dallas.

We usually stay in Santa Rosa when we visit because its less expensive than the "wine country" locations and it offers a wide variety of lodging styles, prices as well as an array of dining options. We like the Railroad Square area because of its convenient location to the downtown eateries.

SR would be a very reasonable launching point to do things you mention- visit wineries, visit the redwoods and it offers some other options such as museums and artist galleries.

Healdsburg is certainly an option, as mentioned previously, but since it doesn't sound like you're in the trip for the "wine country experience" per se, I feel like Santa Rosa could save you some money and provide all the aspects that you've mentioned.

For wineries that feature "heavy reds", I think that you will want to focus on the Dry Creek and Russian River areas. Wilson, and their affiliated facilities, along with Dutcher Crossing, Mauritson, Ridge Lytton Springs and Armida come to mind immediately. For other suggestions, try reading the blog "Drink Dry Creek".

Level Contributor
39,038 posts
1,014 reviews
5. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

Hotel La Rose is a quaint, reasonably priced place to look into for lodging. The Vintner's Inn is also very nice but more expensive. Have fun! :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
54 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

Thanks so much for the ideas so far, as far as why we're flying into Santa Rosa, it was a mileage issue. We wanted to start in N. California, and they offered a 10K one-way on AA so we took it.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
705 posts
117 reviews
7. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

That makes sense then; I asked because my Texas friends usually fly into Sacramento due to lower rates and more flight options..

Napa, California
6 posts
8. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

Santa Rosa is fairly convenient because of the easy access to HWY 101. There is a Courtyard Santa Rosa, Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, and Hotel La Rose right in Railroad Square which has good food and shopping. From there it only takes about 30 minutes to the Armstrong Redwoods. That is also the route you can take for many amazing Russian River wineries.

Healdsburg is another great place to stay, and only about 15 miles north of Santa Rosa. There is a Best Western Dry Creek Inn which has reasonable prices. Healdsburg Square has over 40 wineries within walking distance, and is a quick drive out to the Dry Creek and Alexander Valley wineries. Healdsburg also offers some amazing restaurants, breweries, quaint coffee shops, boutique shopping, etc.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

9. Re: Santa Rosa 36 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2017, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa