We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving Route to the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa

San Diego...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Driving Route to the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa

Hello everyone...

I am trying to find out the best driving/highway route to take from San Diego to Santa Rosa on Friday, August 21, 2015.

I plan on driving Highway 5 North most of the way, but am wondering if I should try and avoid going through San Francisco on a Friday afternoon to take Highway 101 North.

One alternative might be 5N to 580 to 680 North to Routes 12, 121, 116, and then to the 101 North.

I'm not familiar with the area, so any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
271 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driving Route to the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa

I grew up in Santa Rosa and used to drive up there from LA all the time to visit my parents. From the 5 take the 580 west through the east bay. It splits off into lots of other highways but just keep following the 580.

You'll eventually come to the Richmond Bridge which goes over the northern part of the San Francisco Bay. It drops you into Marin County at San Rafael and you can get onto the 101 north from there.

This avoids the SF/Oakland traffic mess for the most part. Try to hit it before 3PM to avoid traffic.

If you want a more scenic route then go with your original plan but instead of taking 116, which isn't very picturesque, take highway 12 north off of the 121. This goes through some of the lovelier parts of Sonoma County including the town of Sonoma, Glen Ellen and the Valley of the Moon. Beautiful drive! This way also puts you right into Santa Rosa not far from the Flamingo.

Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driving Route to the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa

I've driven from LA to Santa Rosa quite a few times on the 5. I cut across on the 580 which is always the first place where I hit the traffic. The redwood highway, which seems to always be under construction is the next.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Driving Route to the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa

Anita,

Thanks very much for those directions, which I'll probably take.

Jay

San Diego...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Driving Route to the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa

Sherry,

Thanks very much!

Jay

5. Re: Best Driving Route to the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2017, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa