We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
Save Topic
Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

Hi -

We are headed to Santa Rosa for a few days in April. We rented a bike for one of the days to see the wineries near by. Has anyone biked the area and have suggestion for routes that involve visiting wineries? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,936 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

Santa Rosa is the County Seat of Sonoma County and as such is a large city (168,000 population). It of course, has no wineries in it. And there is no cluster of vineyards very near the city.

If you want to bike through vineyards, I suggest you go to the town of Sonoma, in the Sonoma Valley. This is about 18 miles from Santa Rosa. You can rent bicycles near the central Plaza (check with the visitor's center...a small brick building in the Plaza) and get maps. There are at least 4 wineries which you can bike to from here, through the vineyards or on quiet country roads.

This website has maps, not only of the four wineries I mentioned, but of other 'hike and bike' trails in the Valley.

sonomavalley.com/home/svvb/maps/svvb_hike_bi…

Be very patient, it takes a long time to load, with pauses between each map, as well, but it is worth the wait, I promise.

Edited: 31 March 2015, 01:34
Mentioned in this post
Sonoma County
Sonoma County
California
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

Santa Rosa does have wineries within the city limits and there are vineyards just to the west of town. Few TA experts know much about bicycling so I would direct your questions to a reputable bike company like AceIt:

aceitbiketours.com/wine-country-bike-tour/

They have tours or they can help you plan your own tour if you rent from them.

Carol Shelton in Santa Rosa is one of our favorite producers in Sonoma County. They are known for Zinfandel but produce a lot of other varieties too. They are in an industrial park where there are several other vintners nearby. One of Carol's wines was recently selected as one of the world's top hundred wines by Wine Spectator Magazine.

http://www.carolshelton.com/

Edited: 31 March 2015, 02:50
Mentioned in this post
Sonoma County
Sonoma County
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,936 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

I stand corrected about wineries in Santa Rosa.

But the wineries I am thinking of are out in the country, surrounded by their vineyards, not in industrial parks. You will find these in the Sonoma Valley. I hope you looked at the maps in message 1. Budget Travel did an article in 2011 about walking these trails between the wineries, but you can bike them, as well.

budgettravel.com/feature/…

Unfortunately, the map in the article was not included in the online edition, but it was very similar to the ones in the hike-bike article I gave you.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

There are West County & Joe Rodota bike trails going from Santa Rosa through Sebastopol to Forestville. The length is 14 miles and mostly dedicated bike line with no car. There are a few wineries along the trail. mostly in Sebastopol and Forestville .

Mentioned in this post
Sebastopol
Sebastopol
Sonoma County, CA
Forestville
Forestville
Sonoma County, CA
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

"But the wineries I am thinking of are out in the country, surrounded by their vineyards, not in industrial parks. You will find these in the Sonoma Valley."

You don't need to go to the Sonoma Valley for wineries surrounded by vineyards. There are plenty just west of Santa Rosa as I said in my previous post. Just contact the bike company for a good tour plan.

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

Thank you!!!

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

Thanks I'll consider your recommendation.

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

I love Zinfandel so I will definitely stop by there, thanks for the great recommendation!

9. Re: Biking Santa Rosa for a self guided winery tour, suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2018, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa