We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,565 posts
1,111 reviews
Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

I'm looking at Hwy 12 which becomes the Bodega Highway. Is this decent enough for a truck and large camping trailer?

Or would the road from Petaluma over be better?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,560 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

If you are speaking of taking Hwy 12 from Santa Rosa to Sebastopol, which then becomes the Bodega Highway and goes through the tiny town of Bodega before coming out at Bodega Bay.......the road is similar to the one from Petaluma...two lane road, some rolling hills. It may be a little narrower, but I can't see that there is any problem for you.

If you are coming from the south just take the road from Petaluma, it is very pretty and easy to drive. Otherwise you will be fine.

Stop at the little town of Bodega and look for landmarks from Alfred Hitchock's film, "the Birds". I think perhaps the church here is one of them. Anyway it is a charming town.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,560 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

Well, let me amend. I know that you are a seasoned RV traveler and I think you are speaking of a fifth wheeler, right?

I might not necessarily give the same advice to a novice RV'er or fifth wheel driver, because they do strange things. I am sure you get that <grin>.

Just to say the road is narrow but tame.

NOW, if you are planning to go north of Jenner and have not done that before....well.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,565 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

Hi Puter. The rough plan is to go south on 101 to about Santa Rosa, then over to Highway 1 and north to Fort Bragg. (Not all in one day, LOL... over a week maybe!) From there we'll decide if we want to take Hwy 20 east or continue to Leggett on Hwy 1. We've driven that in a smaller motorhome towing a car but it's been years; more recently in cars.

We'll be okay with the 5th wheel on Hwy 1 I'm pretty sure as long as there are not a lot of cliff faces on the east side "looming" over the northbound roadway. I don't remember any?

I just didn't want to get tangled up in any *really* narrow winding roads heading over to Bodega Bay. "Narrow but tame" should be fine ;-)

Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,560 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

Going north on Hwy 1 from Jenner you will be on the non-cliff side of the road, with lots of turnouts if too many fast locals get behind you. The cliffy part is only about 8 miles north of Jenner. It is a gorgeous drive. You have not made it before? If not, you are in for a treat.

Going north you will hit Fort Ross State Historic Park, 10 miles north of Jenner. Worth a stop for a photo op of the beautiful wooden Russian Orthodox Chapel and the other historic buildings. Three miles north of that stop at the Timber Cove Inn for a coffee to marvel at the architecture and the views. 25 miles north, Gualala is an art colony, with a lovely new Arts Center just south of town and galleries in town.

I am not sure I would drive a fifth wheeler over 20 to Willitts, but then I am not an experienced RV'er. Pretty winding and narrow.

Have a great trip.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

20 is a lot easier drive to 101 from 1 than driving 1 up to Leggett. 1 is very twisty once it leaves the coast going north. 20 is the route that all the trucks use that service Fort Bragg and Mendocino so should not be a problem for RVs.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,565 posts
1,111 reviews
6. Re: Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

We've driven both that section of Hwy 1 to Leggett as well as Hwy 20. Our memory is that Hwy 1 section is pretty winding and quite slow, but DH has driven this rig on some pretty twisty narrow roads with no problems. We'll just decide when we get there ... assuming plans don't change mid trip and we end up in Nevada, LOL :-)

Thanks.

7. Re: Best route from 101 to 1 with large RV? Santa Rosa area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa