We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (Santa Rosa)

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
494 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (Santa Rosa)

Planning a weekend get away with the Hubby. Looking at staying at the Hilton (have points so would be free). Any feedback on hotel/location would be appreciated. Also looking for small/non commercialized wineries that are close by. We are into red wines, not whites (no more than $40 a bottle). Restaurant options would be great as well. Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
704 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (Santa Rosa)

Well I'll take a stab at this for you, but I haven't been a guest of the hotel myself.

This property is located near the highway on the northern side of Santa Rosa, on the "mountain side" of the valley. Its very near to one of our favorites, Paradise Ridge, which is not much further up the hill.

Because of its proximity to the highway, I can see how there could be problems with road noise, but if there is a property map available, I'm sure you could choose a room that would put you on a quiet side of the hotel.

It is next to an office park, so I would also expect that it must be geared more toward the business traveler, which can work in your favor unless that cozy "wine country" ambience is what you're looking for, then I think you would want to look for something else because the highway and being next to a corporate environment are nowhere near that atmosphere.

Aside from Paradise Ridge, which literally is right up the road and offers excellent red wines and some good whites as well, there are some "urban wineries" in the town of Santa Rosa worth visiting, IMO.

Carol Shelton is well known for her Zinfandels and she produced a Pinot Noir this year that is just great. Trecini is a rarely heard of winery that offers stellar Sauv. Blanc and Merlot. There are a couple of others, but at this moment the names escape me; look under Santa Rosa wineries on one of the travel sites and I'm sure they'll be listed. New places turn up all the time, too.

Sonoma Cellars is a very nice tasting room in Railroad Square and they represent 6 or 7 wineries and offer live music regularly.

Also in Railroad Square are many very good restaurants. Our favorite is Jack and Tony's Whisky Bar and Restaurant which is just a few doors down from Sonoma Cellars.

Level Contributor
38,830 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (Santa Rosa)

Our favorite restaurants are John Ash @ The Vintner's Inn & Willis's Wine Bar. Benovia is a nice winery to check out in this area. :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (Santa Rosa)

Hi itsjg4 - Just curious how your trip went. I'm also planning to stay at the Hilton using points and to visit some local wineries. We have tickets to the Wed night sunset event at Pleasant Ridge and are looking forward to that. Did you find the Hilton adequate? Did you visit anyplace that you'd recommend?

Thanks everyone else for their suggestions!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (Santa Rosa)

I took a group there and stayed about a month during a project one summer. None of us - spread across the spacious property - ever complained of road noise. It's sufficiently above and away from the freeway, surrounded by trees, to be insulated. And we liked the restaurant, including it's fine, subdued, design.

It's nicely positioned to drop down to the freeway to head north to the Dry Creek, Healdsburg, Alexander Valley and Geyserville "appellations". Or to head east on Highway 12, either diagonally via Mendocino Avenue, or down the freeway to Highway 12. And it's north of town, making it easy to head over the hill (through Alexander Valley) to the top of the Napa Valley.

And, as I recall, a good value for HHonors points before the general devaluation. I don't think it was much more, if at all, than the area's Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn.

Did I say we liked it? We liked it. (...Yes, we got our work done.)

[I have no connection with Hilton or the travel industry.]

Edited: 07 September 2013, 05:32
5. Re: Hilton Sonoma Wine Country (Santa Rosa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa