We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More hotel questions...

Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
More hotel questions...

Anyone familiar with "Venice on the Beach Hotel"? It's down by the Venice Beach pier, so south of all the traffic of Venice Beach, has good reviews, and it's right on the beach. Close to MDR.

After weeks of looking at hotels, this one just popped up a few days ago.

(ocean view room ~ 375/night), as opposed to > 500/night for anything else I've seen.

Looking for input please! Thanks

Los Angeles City Tour
272 reviews
from US$84.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
196 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles and Hollywood Small-Group...
29 reviews
from US$198.99*
Los Angeles Hop-On Hop-Off...
560 reviews
from US$49.00*
28 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: More hotel questions...

I believe you cannot bring your own wine to the bar at the hotel, but you can in your room. I would call the hotel and ask.

Go with the partial view at Loews. Much nicer outdoor public area (pool, bar, etc).

You could also get a view room up high at ShangriLa - did you look into it?

Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: More hotel questions...

Thanks Elle: what I was wondering is if you can bring your own glass of wine to the public spaces at Loews, or CDM. Or should I look for a room with a balcony? (JW Marriot has a room with a balcony available). Or what other hotels have a balcony or patio?

Sorry, this part never dawned on me: I think I was always assuming we would pack a cooler & sit on the beach. That's why I wanted to be near the beach....

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: More hotel questions...

No, you cannot drink alcohol on the beach.

A balcony at JW Le Merigot would be a good option. Loews has MUCH better outdoor bar/pool space and views. You really won't want to be in the room with the pool bar right there, and they have a great happy hour until 8PM:

Everyday from 5:00 to 8:00

The Happy Hour at the Loews Hotel Papillion bar in Santa Monica is popular. The Happy Hour items are ordered from the "Six Dollar Menu" and served with complimentary thick sliced potato chips that are light and crispy with a special seasoning. Of course everything on the menu is $6.00. This includes House Blended Cocktails, Sangria, selection of wines and champagnes and imported bottled beer. Domestic bottled beer is two for $6.00. Some of the top menu items are their raw Spicy Big Eye Tuna Tacos with Crisp Wontons and Chuka Salad Walnut Shrimp with a tangy sweet glaze and little melon balls. There is also the Santa Monica Chili with shrimp, scallops and lump crab flavored with garlic which is more like a fish stew rather than a chili. The swank atmosphere is accentuated by the pianist in the lobby playing the baby grand piano.

Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: More hotel questions...

OMG, thank you. SOLD! Loews it is!!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: More hotel questions...

Worth mentioning that you can absolutely drink at the pool. You won't miss not being able to drink on the beach, since the pool is practically ON the beach

Edited: 29 August 2017, 02:48
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: More hotel questions...

To Elle and all who responded to my posts/helped with suggestions.

We are back from our trip, so will give a quick review.

For a brief few minutes last week, the firepit rooms at Loews showed up for half price, so we grabbed one of those. It ended up facing the ocean (AMAZING!). When we arrived, we had drinks outside on the balcony overlooking the ocean, near the pool, with a firepit. It was hazy that evening, so no sunset. Then we walked along Ocean Ave to Blue Taco and had a fabulous meal, right at the counter so watching them cook over the firey stove. Entertaining. Walked back along Ocean Ave (very crowded/lively). Then walked out onto the Santa Monica pier, again, packed, even past midnight! (holiday weekend).

Next day it was less hazy, so awoke to beautiful ocean view from our private terrace. Took a dip in the pool, and then rented bikes and rode the strand to Venice Beach. The pool was PACKED by 10am, and only 1 chair unclaimed.

After our 90 minute bike ride up and down the beach, we had a drink in the hotel lobby, then grabbed food (again from Blue Taco), and headed to the airport for our flight home.

I will mention that prior to our time in Santa Monica, we were attending our daughter's college volleyball tournament up in Claremont. Flew in early Friday morning, and went to Griffith Park to see the Hollywood sign. From there went to Hollywood Blvd and the walk of fame. Spent little time at both sites due to the EXTREME HEAT. It was barely tolerable to be outside for very long, but happy we could fit them both in.

Then fought traffic all the way up to Claremont.

Saturday drove up into the mountains to Mt Baldy in the Angeles National Forest. Beautiful up there!

We did that when we had a break between volleyball matches.

After the tournament on Saturday is when we got to head to the beach.

Loews was FABULOUS! Thanks to all who recommended.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: More hotel questions...

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how you spent your last 24 hours at a beach! Yes, a Holiday weekend, so crazy crowded everywhere!

We were curious where you ended up, so glad to hear it was half price!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: More hotel questions...

Glad that the Loews hotel worked out well, and you got your ocean view (even with the haze). Yes, the heat has been unbearable this past week!

Reply to: More hotel questions...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted