We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Airbnb

We will be traveling to Santa Monica in nov and looking for a safe area within walking distance of the pier to rent an Airbnb

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,003 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airbnb

"Paul’s home is located in Santa Monica, California, United States." Directly from the link above. Yes, I understand that the zip referred to above includes a bit of LA.

There would be no incentive for the host to lie and say the property is in Santa Monica, which has very strict laws. Brentwood (90049) and Pacific Palisades (90272) have the same cache, in fact, probably pricier than Santa Monica, which is 70% apartments. Those cities are legal. Why would an owner lie?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,003 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Airbnb

Please report #9 as not family friendly/illegal. The rental is illegal, and so is not paying hotel taxes.

Level Contributor
6,406 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airbnb

Here is a nice airbnb for you in Santa Monica, if it's available on your dates. Always note the cancellation policy when booking an airbnb, and if you'll have a car make sure that parking is included.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1257025

Post #6 is confusing..airbnb is not illegal in most of Los Angeles. At least not yet.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Airbnb

This part in the listing under House Rules raises a flag for me:

Pls kindly say you are my friend and here for visit if u meet someone in the building. Just try to keep low about Airbnb in this area. Thank you very much.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,864 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Airbnb

>>It is a lot more work than a hotel<<

This is true, and not just for the reasons stated.... you also have to do your due diligence to make sure that the advertised listing isn't a scam -- that the place exists, that it belongs to the people advertising it, that the city allows rentals, that they're meeting all the city requirements (like registration and taxes) and that the place is being rented in agreement with the lease or HOA rules. I like (legal) vacation rentals, but they are a LOT more work (and riskier) than a hotel.

Culver City...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Airbnb

"Please report #9 as not family friendly/illegal. The rental is illegal, and so is not paying hotel taxes."

Why do you make up lies? The listing is completely legal in Los Angeles.

Level Contributor
6,406 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Airbnb

No, it's not legal if he's not collecting tax. It may well be technically in Los Angeles/Pacific Palisades and he is just using "Santa Monica" as a sales gimmick, but it's still illegal. LA rentals are taxable.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
659 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Airbnb

Lots of civic lecturing going on in this thread, not at all useful to the OP.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,003 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Airbnb

Of course it's useful, SLO. Taking housing away from locals is contributing to homelessness. If LA rents rise 5%, it's estimated that 10,000 of our friends and neighbors will lose their apartment. And who gains? Tourists. Who complain about homeless. Do you see a pattern? We love our visitors, but we are an 8 square mile city surrounded by big old LA. How many vacation rentals can we have? We don't want to live in a place where our neighbors change from one day to the next, which has already happened to Venice Beach. Social responsibility needs to be a tourism issue, and the only way to make it so is through discussions like this.

Airbnb has done terrible things to Los Angeles housing. I find it my responsibility to share that because when I travel, it's the kind of information I want to know before I impose myself on a community.

And of course, if you don't like what we are saying, you don't need to visit the tiny subform of Santa Monica.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,778 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Airbnb

Agree with all of #19. Visitors need to know that they are harming the people who live in the places they visit when they use Airbnb. I for one will not stop posting about it.