We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for places to go, restaurants

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
57 helpful votes
Ideas for places to go, restaurants

We’re from Southern California and have been to San Francisco, Monterey/Carmel, etc., many times. Our daughter is studying in Palo Alto and this is our 3rd visit to the area. We are here from Thurs-Sunday afternoon. Previously, we spent the time visiting the school, moving her in, etc. This time, we’re here to celebrate her birthday.

So, I’d like any recommendations on daytime activities in this area. I’ve never been to San Jose, other than the airport. I have dinner reservations for Friday and Saturday, closer to her place. I really wanted to have dinner in San Jose Thursday night, and maybe walk around.

Question: would downtown SJ or Santana Row be better?

We don’t need to eat at a fancy place, but like good healthy food, with wine and beer. We love to try foods from different countries, but American is also fine.

Also, any recommendations for hikes in the area?

Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
335 reviews
85 helpful votes
1. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

San Jose has a Japan town with some interesting restaurants. Check them out.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,693 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

I am going to vote for downtown San Jose.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
60,671 posts
443 reviews
776 helpful votes
3. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

I prefer Downtown San Jose.

Hopefully Chinita will come along with ideas for Asian food. There is some very good Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean and Chinese in San Jose.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
54 reviews
55 helpful votes
4. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

Original Joe's is a bit pricey but has a wide menu of great food. You can google their menu. It s in downtown San Jose.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,884 posts
25 reviews
86 helpful votes
5. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

We like San Pedro Square downtown but also go to Santana Row for the ambiance.

San Diego has decent Asian food so hopefully you have tried some of these. There is good Vietnamese food at many places. Little Saigon is around Story and McLaughlin. We go to Pho 90 degrees a lot.

Pho 90 Degree

999 Story Rd Unit #9090, San Jose, CA 95122

(408) 993-9090

https://maps.google.com/…

But you don't have to go that far.

Com Tam Thanh on Bascom near the medical center has good pho, broken rice dishes.

Com Tam Thanh Restaurant

905 S Bascom Ave, San Jose, CA 95128

(408) 279-8588

https://maps.google.com/…

Koreatown is here in Santa Clara. There is BBQ, soon tofu. To Bang on Kiely and Benton is a greasy place with both. Chungdam on El Camino Real is upscale K BBQ.

Japanese izakaya. En on El Camino Real, or Sumiya on Homestead or Gaku at Moorpark. We are usually at one of these most weekends. All have good yakitori including my favorite chicken ski . En has a uni don rice bowl that my husband loves.

http://www.ensantaclara.com

http://www.sumiyakitori.com

Ramen. Orenchi is the place if you want to wait on line. We usually go to Kotetsu and think it is just as good.

Chinese/Hong Kong cafe - Cooking Papa. One here in Santa Clara on Homestead and another on El Camino closer to PA at Mountain View.

Hot pot places. Japanese Shabuway on Moorpark. Taiwanese places - Little Sheep and Taichi Hot Pot. Chinese - HaiDiLao.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,884 posts
25 reviews
86 helpful votes
6. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

When are you coming? How long and strenuous of a hike do you want to do? Rancho San Antonio is popular. But many others as well with many in second growth redwoods. But Big Basin is not too far either.

Edited: 17 October 2018, 06:13
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
60,671 posts
443 reviews
776 helpful votes
7. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

Thanks chinita!

PS LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Original Joe's. It is the one place I never miss when I am in San Jose. It isn't the best restaurant is San Jose, just my favorite. Kind of like Tadich Grill is my favorite SF restaurant.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
27 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

Chinita-

I’m taking notes on your list for my next sojourn to SJ in a few weeks.

For pizza I still love Pizza my heart (on San Carlos by the University). Always brings back memories of my year living in Santa Cruz.

Dr. Z

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
57 helpful votes
9. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

We're coming this weekend. The weather looks decent for hiking. How strenuous? Our daughter and I are avid hikers, but my husband, a little less. So maybe something in the 5-7 mile range, in a marked trail, some altitude gain would be fine?

And thanks for your help!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
57 helpful votes
10. Re: Ideas for places to go, restaurants

Ok; it sounds like downtown San Jose is our best bet! I’ll look up the menus and decide where to eat. Thanks for all your restaurants suggestions.

Reply to: Ideas for places to go, restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose