We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

Z L
1 post
1 review
Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

Is it possible to drive to Las Vegas from San Jose in one trip? We'll have multiple drivers taking turns, but I keep reading people staying overnight in Bakersfield, and I really don't want to do that.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,146 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

It's 10 hrs just driving, not counting rest stops. So if you are willing to do that, sure, don't stop.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,774 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

sorry but what is the issue. You can use maps.google.com see the distance and take turns at driving. People suggest staying on the way -- so that people don't get tired given this is a forum for vacations. Do people still drive long distances ? yes they do

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,305 posts
122 reviews
3. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

Lots of people make this drive straight through. It's a long drive, but if you want to do it and have multiple drivers, then why not?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,347 posts
6,456 reviews
4. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

With three drivers, just drive on to Las Vegas.

Bakersfield is too soon to stop.

Barstow is as soon as I would stop with three drivers.

but if your group is fine with sharing and naps in the car, just drive on.

There is the truck traffic between Bakersfield and Barstow so some stretches are a bit slow in the middle.

If you take 99, traffic between Fresno and Bakersfield can be horrible if you are driving on a work day.

I-5 to Bakersfield to 58 I find a bit faster.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
7,101 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

Also, to minimize the time you spend stuck in traffic in the dreary blandness of western Bakersfield, don’t take SR 58. Consider taking Stockdale Highway instead, which connects to the new Westside Parkway. That will help you skip a lot of traffic lights.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,607 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

Drive straight with multiple drivers without an overnight. We just fly from SJC as such a short flight. But you must have your reasons either budget or on a road trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

I just went with my daughter in August... we went from Bakersfield to Barstow ( not thru LA which is another route) and Barstow to Las Vegas... online sites recommended this as a more scenic route! They recommended checking for snow in the mountains before traveling this way. We enjoyed a 7 1/2 - 8 hour trip leisure trip with 2-3 stops along the way. Be sure to stop at the art exhibit about a half hour before Vegas...you'll see the brightly painted boulders stacked high with mountains in the back drop ...its a temporary art installation for a few years.

Rancho Cucamonga...
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
168 reviews
8. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

Absolutely, and take the 58 accross to 15 North

9. Re: Driving to Las Vegas from San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2018, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about San Jose