We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??

Will be flying into San Jose Airport and need to get to Oakland with 2 large suitcases (think 2 week trip!). I found a website that suggests routes for me ( https:/…682-Aileen-St-Oakland-CA-94609-USA ) but I see that Amtrak has a luggage restriction. Do Santa Clara (VTA) buses/ the BART allow you to bring on luggage???

5 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,327 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??

it may be more convenient to get a Wingz fixed price car service or uber or lyft than trying this Amtrak train --just saying..

but to specifically answer your question yes BART allows luggage -- VTA -- well I don't know how packed they are so someone in San Jose can answer that. but Please take ride share

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??

If you have more luggage than a person can reasonably carry onto public transit, then you should take a private transfer - Uber, Lyft, car service, shared shuttle - or rent a car.

Here is the Amtrak baggage policy, which isn't terribly restrictive - any more than that and how in the world would you get it onto the train anyway?

https://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy

The route you linked from Rome to Rio includes a 1 mile walk - that seems to be the real issue with luggage, not the train or any other public transport.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??

This trip is easiest on Amtrak. I've done the VTA/BART thing a couple of times (once with large luggage) and it's really obnoxious. With luggage, you'll just have to hope you don't have to stand. You can bring luggage on, but there aren't racks and you can't block the aisle. It also looks like you'll have an AC Transit ride from MacArthur BART, unless you're getting picked up there. That'll also be annoying with luggage.

The Capitol Corridor does not have luggage SERVICE, meaning they won't take your bag and put it in a separate car. You can still bring luggage on. They have racks. You may get charged, but I doubt it.

But it really depends on your schedule. I've had really terrible luck with that shuttle from San Jose Airport and I wouldn't expect it to arrive within 20 minutes, so you can't make a tight connection. You also have to be careful to make sure the shuttle is going to the Santa Clara station and not to the light rail, as they pick up at the same place. At the least, once you get to Santa Clara, there are a couple of places (a donut shop and I think a Starbucks) where you can sit, and it's a pleasant station.

If you're under a time crunch, I'd suggest taking a car service. Or you could look at renting a car one-way. It's reasonable sometimes. That way you could drive to the house with your luggage, drop it off, then drop the car off and take public transit back to the house.

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??

Unfortunately the Amtrak trains will only allow carry-on size baggage for this trip :| This may be tougher/more expensive than expected! Uber is about $120.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??

"Unfortunately the Amtrak trains will only allow carry-on size baggage for this trip"

According to the Amtrak web site, "carry-on" means each person is allowed 2 personal items up to 14"x11"x7" and 2 carry-on bags up to 28"x22"x14". Are you bringing bags that are larger than 28"? If so, then Amtrak is not your limiting factor - the trip on BART and the 1 mile walk would be.

If you need to bring that much luggage, then public transport is not an option. Bring less stuff or use private transport.

Reply to: To Oakland from San Jose Airport with luggage this FRIDAY??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose