We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Monrovia a decent area?

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Is Monrovia a decent area?

I’m looking at the extended stay America. We would have a car, but if close to metro, we’d probably use that.

7 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,112 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Is Monrovia a decent area?

What's your purpose for staying at Monrovia? It's not a bad location, but far from the west side of LA.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Is Monrovia a decent area?

Trying to find a resonable place to stay for Rose Bowl parade.

What do you think about 1500 E Colorado St.

Glendale, CA. (Motel Sakura)

Level Contributor
6,863 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Is Monrovia a decent area?

Motel Sakura's location is fine. There is bus service to Pasadena on parade day if you don't want to drive & park. What time do you need to be at LAX on your departure day, and will it be the busy airport date of Jan 2? If so, staying in Glendale could be a problem the night before, lots of traffic til 9:30am in the morning heading to LAX. And Monrovia even worse.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Is Monrovia a decent area?

Whew! Thanks! Motel Sakura was a great price, although the reviews looked good, I was worried. (I've been burned before by pictures that looked nothing like the hotel.) Thanks for the imput on the hotel. I think we are going to fly out the afternoon / evening on Jan 1. I'm looking at flights either out of Burbank or LAX. Most of the flights that I'm looking at are leaving around 4:00pm ish.

Level Contributor
6,863 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Is Monrovia a decent area?

Burbank airport would definitely be worth some extra $$$ over having to get to LAX and deal with the crowds etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Is Monrovia a decent area?

I would go with the Monrovia Extended Stay. It is at the border of Arcadia, I think. And less than 10 minute walk to the Arcadia Metro Station. If your main purpose is to be near the parade, then this is the best place for you.

I think a problem from Glendale is getting to the parade with a car and getting parking. Unless you pre-purchase a parking spot, it might be difficult and congested getting there. and returning. because everyone is coming at the same time and everyone is leaving as soon as the parade ends.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,100 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Is Monrovia a decent area?

I think that Extended Stay America (the one on santa Clara St., just below the 210 freeway?) is a GREAT location for the parade. I'd be surprised if you can get a good price. It is a fine area and around 1/2 mile walk to the Gold Line station, which is by far the best way to get to Pasadena for the events around 1/1 (parade, game, etc). The Gold Line goes much more frequently than buses in our area (every few minutes as opposed to every 20-30-60 minutes, depending on the bus line). Plus Gold Line will keep you out of street traffic, which may be very heavy.

Pleasant, very safe area and lots of restaurants walking distance. Also some of the best Chinese restaurants in the country within a mile or two.

Reply to: Is Monrovia a decent area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted