We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

Denver, Colorado
13 posts
Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

My wife and I had a baby in May and my Mother-in-Law has been nothing short of a blessing in her support and help over the last 4 months. She has always stated that attending the Rose Parade would be a dream for her. My wife and I would like to make that dream come true as a small token of our appreciation. However, my concern is that it is too late in the year to book appropriate accommodations.

My In-Laws are 66 years old and my wife and I plan on attending as well with our 7-month old. Here are my specific questions:

1. Is it too late to be done correctly?

2. Accommodations: it looks like many of the hotels/vrbos are booked over the new year. Any recommendations for appropriate hotels that would be within a reasonable distance from the parade? I would prefer to take public transportation or uber and avoid driving in traffic. I would be willing to spend up to 300-400/night but it seems that to get in the area is more like 600-700/night.

3. Seating: I have visited Sharp Seating but it appears many of the best seats are sold out (no surprise). I have read that we should get seats near the beginning of the route (Area 1) and on the south side of Colorado. Looking at the site it appears that there is some seating at 320 W. Colorado. Is this a good decision? Do I need to buy a seat for a 7-month old?

4. Extracurriculars: I would like to do all of the extracurriculars. Right now I am looking at buying tickets for "Decorating Places" and "Post Parade" through Sharp Seating as well. Any advice on this?

5. Volunteering: I would really love to arrange for my wife and MIL to help decorate a float the day(s) before. Is this possible? How would I go about setting something like this up?

Thank you for reading and any/all responses. I am researching frantically and understand that time is of the essence. I think that the accommodations will be the largest challenge.

Thank you,

Jeremy

25 replies to this topic
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,096 posts
53 reviews
11. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

Can you share the exact address, or nearest cross street, for the VRBO?

It may or may not be really walking distance to the parade. And do you have an address for your seats (the section # means nothing to me)?

Some parts of N. Pasadena are fine, others less so. Reviews seem to indicate that the area is fine.

If staying in a hotel, i prefer the Arcadia locations to anything in Glendale/Burbank, for this trip. This is because Arcadia has a Gold Line station that will take you where you need to go in Pasadena by light rail. Light rail is fast, easy and avoids all the traffic snarls and detours on 1/1. Glendale/Burbank do not have the light rail, so you will have to rely on buses or Uber.

Another option for float decorating is the South Pasadena TOR organization. This is a community built float that welcomes volunteer help on the last day or two. You have to fill out a form though.

www.sptor.org

Denver, Colorado
13 posts
12. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

Thank you for your response!

We were not given an exact address but told the crossroads are Lincoln and Woodbury. We researched the area and have some concerns but as you mention the reviews were positive. I think the place may technically be in Altadena. We are strongly considering changing to the Hampton Inn in Arcadia. What are your thoughts?

Our Grandstand seats are at 450 W. Colorado Blvd. I think these are right on the first corner near the TV cameras.

Thank you for your help!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,096 posts
53 reviews
13. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

I don't know about the safety, but my recollection of that part of Pasadena is that it is not at all upscale, if that matters to you. I may be driving past that location in the next week, and if I do, I will let you know what I think.

Altadena varies quite a bit, so don't rely on my offhand comment.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,096 posts
53 reviews
14. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

And yes, 450 West Colorado is probably the primo location for seats. Lucky mother in law!

The Arcadia hotels are well located and walking distance to the Gold Line station, but perhaps sold out by now, or with inflated prices. It can't hurt to check. If available and reasonable, I'd book and then cancel later if you find something you prefer.

And has anyone mentioned that you seem to be the nicest, most appreciative son in law in the world?

Edited: 14 September 2018, 19:22
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,096 posts
53 reviews
15. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

I drove up Lincoln today and went around the block at Lincoln/Woodbury. It's a mixed bag. Definitely not upscale at all-- though there are a few new trendy food shops several blocks away on Lincoln (interspersed with a lot of empty storefronts). A few of the houses are pretty run down, several are newly painted and landscaped, evidence of "gentrification" most likely--and most others just seem a bit tired and in need of improvements that the residents can't afford. I wouldn't consider it to be a neighborhood for walking much of anywhere. Working class neighborhood at best, but not scary looking or blighted either.

Just my impression. If concerned, one thing to do would be to call the Pasadena Police and ask what that address is like, crime-wise. It might be just fine.

Level Contributor
6,840 posts
7 reviews
16. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

Terrible traffic between Pasadena and LAX on 1/2 in the morning, find a flight that departs between 130 and 330pm and cross your fingers.

Denver, Colorado
13 posts
17. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

Thank you everyone for the replies!

pasca, thank you for your kind words and for driving by the location. After discussing with my wife, we decided to skip the VRBO in North Central Pasadena and book the Sheraton near old town Pasadena. I hope that this was a wise decision because we got nonrefundable rooms and I just jumped on it when I saw that I could book one of the rooms with Marriott points.

TomMalley, thank you for your advice, but I was not able to find a reasonable flight later in the day. With a 7 month old and two 66 year olds, we thought we would just fly back early. We have a 1030am flight which I am really concerned about based on your message, but we are prepared to leave at 6am or earlier if we have to in order to make it. How early do you think we will have to leave Pasadena to leave plenty of time?

I think our itinerary is set and I want to thank everyone for all of your responses. The last thing that I would like to investigate is whether it would be possible for my MIL and wife to volunteer to decorate a float on the 30th or 31st.

Thank you!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,905 posts
39 reviews
18. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

https:/…

Go through each link, multiple options. Note that they are not building floats in Pasadena in most cases. They “drive” over in the middle of the night from their float building/decorating site to stage them for the parade before dawn. If snagging a volunteer opportunity to decorate does not work, you can tour the sites and get an accurate appreciation for all that goes into that last push to complete a float.

Many fond memories of this from my youth, hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Level Contributor
6,840 posts
7 reviews
19. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

They have float decorating opportunities in Burbank and I think also in Sierra Madre. There will be details posted in December.

Pasca for a 10:30am flight departure on the busy day after the holiday, at what time would they want to Uber to LAX? I'm thinking 6:30am should get them there at 8:30am with a half hour padding? ( Really the only "safe" plan would be to stay at LAX the evening prior to the flight. )

canton, ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
20. Re: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?

Hi Tom

Trying to find an affordable hotel for parade. Is it easier taking the express bus over or it sounds like the trains from Burbank will be running to union station to the Gold Line. Thank you. Dan

Reply to: Is it too late to attend the Rose Parade the "right" way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted