We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs visit question

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Palm Springs visit question

My wife and I are wanting to visit Palm Springs the week between Christmas and New Years,Coming from wet and cold Seattle. We've never been before and are not sure what area(s) are the best. We're thinking of renting a mid century updated house with pool. A couple questions. Is it warm there that time of year? what areas are the best to stay in ? Also areas that will get sun on the pool in the yard (we've been told to close to the mountains and no afternoon sun). Any recommendations would be appreciated!

8 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
6,431 reviews
1. Re: Palm Springs visit question

We have been in Palm Springs in December.

Days can be nice and warm; nights however can be chilly.

High is usually 77; low 44.

The only swimming pools that will be good that time of year are those that are "heated"

Trying to figure out which home to rent due to sun angle is not sufficient that time of year.

Even in Palm Springs, we have had a day or two of rain in December.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,418 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Palm Springs visit question

Get a hotel in one of the mid century modern hotels like The Parker, Orbit In, Del Marcos, and others on this list:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/feb/…

They will have heated pools. Sun goes down early in December, so you won't be able to stay out late in the day, no matter where you choose.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,770 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Palm Springs visit question

We like staying in hotels every December, between Christmas and NYE. Their pools will be heated, they will be decorated for the Holidays, and often you can walk to restaurants or bike.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Palm Springs visit question

The Del Marcos and the Orbit Inn & sister hotel, the Hideaway are all located the Tennis Club area, easy walk into downtown. Most of the hotels in this historic area have rooms or suites with a full kitchen and daily housekeeping. Some even have their own washer-dryer in the unit.

Joshua Tree...
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
204 reviews
5. Re: Palm Springs visit question

You asked what area to stay in and it's been implied in the above posts - suggest that you stay in downtown Palm Springs which is where the hotels mentioned above are located. You can use the Palm Springs Art museum as a locator if you like - for example the Del Marcos hotel is .4 miles from there. Kaiser Grille restaurant is also a good "locator" for pin pointing you into the center of "downtown" Palm Springs (N Palm Canyon Dr & S Indian Canyon Dr - down to Ramon and up about a mile from Kaiser Grille - that's the "hot" area IMHO.) Casa Cody, The Willows ($$) could also be considered and some friends of mine stayed at the Hilton and enjoyed it.

Don't miss our "street fair" on Thursday nights on N Palm Canyon Drive in the approx area I mentioned above. It's called VillageFest. (And the art museum is free on Thursday starting in the late afternoon in conjunction with Village Fest.)

http://villagefest.org/

Edited: 09 July 2018, 19:34
Canada
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Palm Springs visit question

We are visitors to the Coachella valley in Dec/Jan. We prefer a spacious condo with heated pools, so lately we have been staying in the Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage areas. There are also many condo complexes in the Palms Springs area... a bit older perhaps, but often well maintained.

At that time of year ..from just about anywhere, once the sun goes behind the mountain...around 4:30 p.m...it starts to cool off. Pool time is mid day to early afternoon often. We have rented a house with a pool in Palm Desrt, and the pool heat was extra(many $$), but it included the hot tub heated.

All of the communities in the valley offer great choices for accommodation to fit every pocketbook...Palm Springs, Cathedral city Palm Desrt, Rancho Mirage, Indian wells, La Quinta...etc...

Last Dec/early Jan the weather was above average warm than what we had experienced the previous year. We had highs in the low 80's, where prior to that low to mid seventies. And as it is a "dry " heat...it can be most pleasant. Having a fire pit(propane) at your condo is a nice treat in the evenings after the sun has gone down.

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
7. Re: Palm Springs visit question

A word of caution about renting a place...I reserved a place through AirBnB that was managed by an organization called Vacation Palm Springs. Do not rent a place that is managed by them! They have a super strict cancellation policy-if you cancel within 30 days you lose all your money- 25 days before my trip they tried to do a bait and switch, told me the beautiful place I had reserved was no longer available, I had to choose one of the less desirable alternatives. Knowing AirBnB’s policies, I informed them that the alternates would not be acceptable and that if they needed to cancel to please cancel through AirBnB so I could rebook something else. The woman from Vacation Palm Springs tried to tell me that I had to cancel on my end, which would have resorted in my losing my entire rental fee. Long story short, AirBnB handled it. But I want others planning trips to Palm Springs to be aware.

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Palm Springs visit question

Agree about the cautionary notes on the non-trad platforms like airbnb and vrbo. Make sure you vet the properties. Be mindful of what some visitors find to be difficult restrictions on outdoor noise as a result of rental ordinances imposed because things got out of hand. Also make sure that the pool is heated and that this is included in your rate....otherwise could be very expensive!

It is true that at that time of year the pools of hotels very close to the toe of slope of the local mountains are in shade very early, some as early as 1-2 PM depending. Being in the sun it can be comfortable on the average day, but in shade it gets cold very quickly at that time of year.

Reply to: Palm Springs visit question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palm Springs