We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help planning on drive toSanta Barbara from Newport Beach

chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
help planning on drive toSanta Barbara from Newport Beach

Had a last minute plan to visit cousin in Santa Barbara next weekend. I will be driving from Newport beach or Costa Mesa next Sunday. So, when is the best time to leave and head back, or worse what s the worst time to travel both ways? My host was planning on a trip to the flea market in Costa Mesa. If we go, when should we start our trek to SB? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
1,232 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa
Orange County, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,938 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help planning on drive toSanta Barbara from Newport Beach

The drive is 2-3 hours (or more) depending on traffic. The earlier you leave in the morning, the better off you are.

By "flea market" do you mean the Swap Meet at the OC Fairgrounds? I would go on Saturday. You are looking at about 6 hours drive time round trip to SB. How long are you going to spend there?

I can't imagine walking around the Swap Meet for two or three hours and THEN driving to SB and driving back, all in one day.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,746 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help planning on drive toSanta Barbara from Newport Beach

And that Sunday drive heading south from SB is killer. Just stay in Santa Barbara until 8 or 9 pm.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help planning on drive toSanta Barbara from Newport Beach

Well, if I skip that, what's the latest time that's ok to leave? I mean , I should leave no later than what time and same question also from SB to Newport Beach next Sunday....

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,598 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help planning on drive toSanta Barbara from Newport Beach

It's at least 3 hours. It doesn't matter what time you leave Orange County, but coming back you'll hit traffic, so leave SB after 7PM.

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
5. Re: help planning on drive toSanta Barbara from Newport Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:40