We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

Hi, we will be in newport beach between 3-5 july. I found a reservation on this hotel. I was wondering if it is a good idea or would be easier life to stay on the balboa peninsula so not to have to use the car on the 4th of july. Will it be easy to move/park on the 4th of july having base at 2300 West Coast Highway Newport Beach (California), CA 92663?

10 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

The 4th will be a zoo on the peninsula. If you must be there, staying on the peninsula has its advantages. There isn't much for hotels though and most vacation rentals require a minimum of a weeklong stay.

Varese, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

Right! So being in this OC area on the coast, where would you suggest spend the 4th of July? Is any other destination on the coast better than the peninsula in terms of crowd?

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,884 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

Look back to your original post for the ongoing discussion :)

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

I grew up in Newport Beach on one of the islands. We wouldn't not dare try to drive anywhere else but n Fouth of July. And most summer weekends and holidays had terrible traffic on the Coast Highway. If you stay at the Holiday Inn Express it could take you a horribly long time to get to the beach on the holiday or even other days around there.

When I return for my high school reunions, my friends and I either book a house on the Peninsula together, or we stay at the Bayshores Peninsula Inn.

http://www.thebestinn.com

It is root directly on the beach, but a block away. It is very near the Newport Pier and the surfing area ( fun to watch in the morning). There are restaurants within walking distance. A light continental breakfast is included and you can take it to the rooftop terrace for nice views to the bay and the ocean. They have free boogieboards you can borrow, and free parking. Kayaks for paddling around Newport Bay are available for rent close by on the bay side of the peninsula.

When we stay there we park our car and walk or bicycle everywhere. There is a beachfront bike path from there almost tomthe end of the Peninsula at the famous Wedge. The last few blocks are on quiet streets.

I checked and they have rooms available for July 3-5. It is $90 more than the room at the Holiday In. Express, but well worth it for the great location and instant access to the beach. And no frustration with traffic jams (once you get there).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,702 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

If possible, splurge for the hotel Enzian suggests for your July 4th experience. We do the same where we go on the Fourth week. There are crowds everywhere, but you will be comfortable and settled in the middle of the action. We get all our supplies ready to enjoy, so we don't move our car that day.

Enjoy the Birthday of America! 🇺🇸

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,884 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

I am at a loss that anyone could complain about the traffic on Coast Highway over July 4th and then recommend the Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel on Balboa Blvd, which is the biggest zoo imaginable on July 4th.

If the OP upped to the budget to $300 from $200, I'd be recommending something in Laguna Beach, which is far more fun on July 4th than Newport and it is mostly walkable, has the great restaurants in Downtown, has the festivals going on and has the free trolley.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

I agree with scott on this one.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

Note that I said you arrive at the Bayshores in you car, and park it for the duration.

Laguna is nice too, but are you sure they can find something nice and close to the beach for $300?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

Seems like the Bayshore is the perfect solution, if being near the action is what you are after. It is something like $300/night with a minimum stay but if it works for you and they still have rooms, go for it.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

The Bay Shore is a really bad idea. Look at the other thread.

Laguna would be far better.

Reply to: Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport Beach