We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Wineries in Napa Valley

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lasalle
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best Wineries in Napa Valley

We have 2 days to visit Napa/Sonoma area mid October. What would be the top 2 wineries to visit. We like boutique wineries that are a little more personal as well as the big grand wineries. We are going at a good time of year, are there any specific events at any of these wineries that anyone knows of?

Level Contributor
34,191 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

Domaine Carneros in Napa and Domaine Chandon in Yountville for big grand. In Calistoga check out Chateau Montelena, Sterling and Castillo do Amerosa. :).

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

The wineries are pretty busy in October and usually don't schedule major events for the public. Some may have grape stomps or crush parties but these won't be scheduled until closer to harvest.

As far as your subject question, I suppose syrahgirl's response is as good as any since what is "best" is highly selective and there's no way to choose any two that are the best to visit.

What wines do you drink at home? What varieties do you prefer? Where will you be staying? Napa and Sonoma are big places with lots of wineries.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

Wine is a very subjective thing. Everyone going to have a different opinions on where to go. I would pick wineries that I like drinking there wine. Also keep in mind a lot of small boutique wineries are not open to the public. Here is just a few I my recommendations for first timers.

Artesa Winery for the views alone from the winery. They have a 360 degree view of the surrounding country side including SF skyline on a clear day.

Domaine Chadon because they a do a good job with tours and tastings, make both sparkling and still wines.

Sterling Winery - Tram to top of mountain with great views, take a self guided tour if you like. then sip wine on top of the mountain.

Beringer Winery - Beautiful grounds, with a large selection of wines to taste.

lasalle
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

I like all the suggestions made. We just enjoy wine in general, not really partial to any particular type or brand. So a combination of wine/view/atmosphere works for us. My BF also likes to tour the operation and fields. Light entertainment and food is good too....

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
874 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

This might help a little, you have plenty of time to plan. http://napavalley.com/wineries/featured.html

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

For big and grand: Darioush, Domaine Chandon, Sterling and Hess Collection are my favorites. For small but good, Elizabeth Spencer and Stony Hill, historically California's greatest chardonnay producer (wonderful rieslings as well).

lasalle
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

Thanks for all the responses..!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

If you like port try Prager near St. Helena, cute & charming (and delicious)

lasalle
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

I DO like port..thank you..

Napa, California...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Wineries in Napa Valley

Burgess Cellars, Vine Cliff (has amazing views of the valley below), Barnett Vineyards, Flora Springs The Room, Schramsberg if you like sparkling (their cave tour is fantastic). Heitz Cellars in St. Helena (very close to Prager), Charbay (incredible apperatifs, ports, wines).