We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching May?

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Jersey
Level Contributor
83 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching May?

Is there any whale watching potential in early from the Monterey peninsula south? If so,are there any particularly good shoreline vantage points?

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching May?

We will also be there in late May, is this a good time to see ANY whales??

california
Level Contributor
536 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching May?

I can't answer your question about seeing whales from land but Monterey is a great location for whale watching boat trips. I have been out with Monterey Bay Whale Watch and I recommend them. If you check their website, there's a link at the bottom marked "sightings"' click on that and it will show you a daily listing of how many and what type of whales, dolphins, etc they've seen. That would at least give you an idea about whale population in the area. Perhaps if you re-post this question as " best vantage point to see whales?" perhaps you would get a more specific response. hope that helps. :)

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching May?

do you have to make reservations for Monterey Bay Whale Watch or can we just show up and get on the boat?

I want to do a tour but I'm not sure if we are staying IN Monterey or we will be driving in that day

california
Level Contributor
536 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching May?

I typically make an online reservation, usually not very far in advance. You could show up and try your luck, but you take a chance on the tour being full. These are popular tours, especially on a weekend - if you're thinking of going on a weekday you might have a better chance. I would try the online booking, even if it's just the night before. That way you'll know if the tour is full and you won't make a wasted trip.

Have fun!

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching May?

we will make a reservation just to be on the safe side!!

How close do some of the whales get to the boat? Does the boat scare them off? I love photo's and just wondering if they get close enough to get a good photo

california
Level Contributor
536 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching May?

Check out my review of MBWW! I have attached photos I've taken. Just click on my username under the photo of the bear on any of my postings, then click reviews, you'll see my review there, I have included photos. I took those pics with a DSLR and 200mm telephoto lens.

There is a law in California that boats cannot chase whales or race up to them, however, if the boat is idling and the whales come close to the boat, that's ok. I once saw 2 killer whales came up right next to the side of the boat, so close I couldn't even focus my camera because I had the telephoto lens on!

The thing is, no one can predict how many whales you will see or how close they may come. I've seen several humpbacks within 20-30 feet of the boat, but I've gone whale watching at least 6-8 times in Monterey. Once a humpback

came so close, you could smell it's breath - a very unpleasant smell, I must say! I've also gone when we only saw 4-5 whales and none very close, it's just a matter of luck. The captain of your boat stays in radio contact with other boats in the area to pinpoint areas where the whales are currently located, so that helps.

BTW, if you tend to get seasick, stay out in the fresh air -don't go into the cabin!

I hope you have an awesome day! There is always something to see, frequently dolphins will show up and bowride with the boat, too!

california
Level Contributor
536 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching May?

In regards to the original post, we were in Big Sur this past weekend and happened to see a couple of gray whales from a hill in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park!

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching May?

calsand.......great photo's, I hope we are as lucky as you were when we go!!

I can't wait till May!!!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
83 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching May?

Thank you...Given our time constraints we only have 1 full day in mid May to spend in the area and will be driving the coast highway from Monterey to the Pfeiffer Burns area and back. Likely stop plans include Garapata, Pt Lobos and

I' m sure numerous other points.. I appreciate your comments on whale sightings, and realize May is not the best month for whale watching.. I was just curious about any shore based viewing..Perhaps we'll get lucky.. Thanks again for your info.

Rich

10. Re: Whale watching May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:15