We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BW Plus Monterey Inn or BW Carmel Bay View Inn

Delaware
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
BW Plus Monterey Inn or BW Carmel Bay View Inn

There is about a $40 difference between the 2 hotels. I have reservations at BW Carmel Bay View Inn on Munras Ave. but it looks like the Monterey Inn on Abrego St looks better and seems like walking distance to the Wharf?? ANy thoughts on either hotel for quality and walking distance to attractions or transportation? We are only staying overnight so probably just want something decent, comfortable, easy to get to and probably in walking distance to the beach. Will have been in the car for 4+ hours when we arrive so will probably want to walk:) thanks

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BW Plus Monterey Inn or BW Carmel Bay View Inn

I stayed at the BW on Abrego several years ago w/a couple of grandkids and it was fine. We had a 2nd floor room on the street and could see a bit of the bay from our "balcony". The kids were probably 7 and 13 at the time. Easy walk where we wanted to go. Have stayed at hotels on Munras before, and a little more traffic in front of those hotels. As I said it was several years ago, and it was clean and tidy, etc. at that time. I would stay there again. As far as walking to the beach, it would depend on what beach you were headed to - or it would depend on how much you like walking. One morning we rented one of the bike surreys down by the wharf and rode it out to Pacific Grove - good exercise and great view of the town, bay, etc. Do it early and the bike trail isn't too croweded.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BW Plus Monterey Inn or BW Carmel Bay View Inn

Oh, my, as far as locations go, these properties are as different as night and day. The Monterey Inn is on a very busy street in a very busy town. Its closest neighbors are a Mercedes dealership, a Jiffy Lube, and a Jack-In-The-Box. The Carmel Bay View is on a fairly quiet street in a quiet little village. Its closest neighbors are a mom and pop grocery store, a small park, and numerous locally owned restaurants, shops, and art galleries.

[EDIT: I just re-read your message and you indicated the bay View Inn is on Munras in Monterey. There is no motel by that name on Munras. It is on Junipero in Carmel so that is what I'm responding to.]

As far as beach access goes, both are about 3/4ths of a mile from the beach. The Monterey location is mostly flat terrain, while the Carmel location is more than 200 feet higher than the beach, so there's a bit of climbing involved.

Given the choice, I'd pick the Carmel location because the town is quite unlike any other place you'll visit and it is very peaceful. But if you prefer a more urban atmosphere, with some nightlife nearby, the Monterey Inn might be better for you.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 09 February 2012, 07:57
3. Re: BW Plus Monterey Inn or BW Carmel Bay View Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 10:26