We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey or Carmel?

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey or Carmel?

With the At&T golf tournament in Pebble Beach next weekend, my husband and I are having trouble deciding where to stay....Monterey or Carmel? We are NOT attending the tournament, and only have one night to stay. Bayfront rooms are available in the Sprindrift Inn, the Intercontinental and the Monterey Bay Inn. We can also book in the Pine Inn in Carmel. I am worried about parking, crowds and being able to get around (to dinner, etc.). What does everyone suggest?

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

The Spindrift is very nice, you can walk to everything from there. :)

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Well, you can't walk to everything from the Spindrift. More accurate to say you can walk to everything on Cannery Row. But the same is true for the other Cannery Row properties listed.

The Monterey Bay Inn has the added advantage of putting you within walking distance of the wharf and downtown area, too. It's at the quiet end of Cannery Row, and may be the best location for a busy week. It also has a nice park and a small beach outside the front door. The building doesn't look like much on the outside, but I'm told the hotel is quite pleasant inside.

Normally, I would suggest Carmel, but during the tournament, Carmel restaurants can be packed solid.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,433 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

I concur with MrToy. Carmel will be MUCH busier than Monterey, so book your lodging in Monterey.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think we might book a night in a small inn in Pacific Grove, where we can walk to dinner and escape Cannery Row crowds. Monterey Bay Inn is another excellent choice!

We are also thinking of driving to the Hyatt Highlands Inn for lunch or dinner. The view looks beautiful (in daylight). Worth the trip?

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Dinner at the Highlands Inn is quite pricey and may be very busy due to the AT&T as they can accommodate large groups and it's a popular place. Same with lunch at the California Market also at the HI.

If I were you, I'd head out to Carmel Valley, do some wine tasting and have lunch at the Corkscrew (my first choice) or Rustica.

Dinner at a place in PG since you are staying there; Normandie, Fifi's (my favorite), Red House Cafe or Peppers Mexican.

If you want to go to the HI, I would go for drinks at sunset and perhaps dine elsewhere if it looks too crowded.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

If you have not included Pt. Lobos in your itinerary, i would strongly recommend it...it is peaceful and spectacular...

http://www.stateparks.com/point_lobos.html

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Actually, lunch at the Highlands might work out. They have two restaurants, and the California Market is fairly affordable (and has outdoor seating with a great view). The golf fans will still be at Pebble Beach until about 3:00pm, so you can probably avoid the crowds at lunchtime. …hyatt.com/hyatt/…index.jsp

If the weather is nice, though, taking a picnic lunch to Point Lobos would be a great idea. Point Lobos and the Highlands Inn are very close to each other.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Pacifix Grove sounds like a perfect alternative. Several nice B&B's there. I mght suggest dinner at Passionfish -- excellent food and maybe the best wine list in the area, if that's an interest. Prices are basically retail --minimal markup. We've enjoyed lots of bargains there. Last stop 2 years ago had a Sea Smoke pinot noir for $50 and a Carlisle zinfandel for about $45!

Edited: 11 February 2012, 00:39
Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Fandango is also very good in PG. :)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Yes indeed, Syrah Girl. Keep overlooking Fandango -- winelist is almost always the first thing I look at though. Needless to say, way too many good restaurants in the area. Carmel, PG and Monterey -- even Marina has a couple of good ones. Had my first caiparinha there!!