We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks without a car?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
3 weeks without a car?

Hello! My son will be working as an intern for a company in Malibu for 3 weeks in August. He is flying in from Kentucky (I assume flying into LAX). Since he is under 25 the rental car companies are charging outrageous rates. Is a car a "must have?" Or is there enough public transportation to get to work and around the area?

Any advice/suggestions are welcome!

Thank you

4 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
6,431 reviews
1. Re: 3 weeks without a car?

Uber, Lyft, Big Blue Bus

https://www.bigbluebus.com/

He may want to see things furhter away on week-ends. You may want to look at week-end rentals if he does and see if it would work out for your budget or not. But he could always just enjoy the beach, and not do that.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,426 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: 3 weeks without a car?

In Malibu where?

Uber or Lyft would be the only other option.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: 3 weeks without a car?

Thank you mini33. We will check into the weekend rentals and the Big Blue Bus.

ElleBe_LA,he will be working near Pepperdine. I'm not sure of the name of the company. But he has asked for the specific address of the office and his accommodations. We will check google maps when we have that info. Thanks for the reply.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: 3 weeks without a car?

I’d also let it slip at the company that I don’t have a car. Some people may take him around and show off the greater LA area. It’s fun to be friendly.

Reply to: 3 weeks without a car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted