We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice

hants, uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
52 reviews
advice

Hiya, just wondering if anyone can advise on the following itinerary plan...

As part of a road trip in August, I will be leaving Santa Barbara and have an extra day to fill and need to book accomodation somewhere before we go to Santa Monica the next day...

(Basicly I have gained an extra day with the Big Sur being closed and was able to bring plans on previous days forward)

I would like to go to an outlet shopping mall so from SB we are going to Camarillo Premium Outlets. Im not sure how long we will spend here but may end up having lunch here

The next plan is to go to Malibu beach & pier and spend some time relaxing/sightseeing.

Then I would like to go to the Getty Villa BUT dont think I am going to have time on this day? Am i correct in reading that it closes at 5pm? Also, how long should i allow to see it...?? (plan B is to visit it the following morning)

My next dilemma is accomodation....torn between Malibu M Hotel, or a place that is half the cost in Calabasas....(Goodnite Inn)

The Malibu M is perfect for its location - i would have liked to watch the sun go down on the beach, (or from a nearby beach) if we stay there BUT its really out of my budget (family of 4)

It was also good because the next day its an easy/short drive to The Getty Villa and then to Santa Monica afterwards.

Ive looked at booking the same hotel i have in santa monica on the next day, BUT its sold out!!

Ive also looked at Venice Beach but again, the hotels are so expensive, or the really cheap ones have not got very good reviews. I dont want to have to travel too much further than Venice Beach - esp as we will have to come "backwards" to visit Getty Villa!

Basicly, should I bite the bullet and pay more than i want to just "for location" in Malibu, or is Calabasas a good stop as a base? Anywhere to watch the sun go down up there??! (cant see the husband driving me all the way back to the malibu beaches just to see sunset, and cant see us staying on the beach in Malibu for that many hours waiting for it either...!!)

Is there somewhere nice for dinner in Calabasas that anyone could recommend? Ive only picked this area as it offered affordable accomodation. I could also do Thousand Oaks, or Agoura Hills BUT these are just slightly further back from my onward journey towards Getty Villa and Santa Monica the next day! (but are they a better location to stay in perhaps?)

I was also looking at the roads up to Calabasas - will we pass a lookout called The Snake on our way from Malibu?! are there any other scenic roads/routes we could do up there or anything else to see? (actualy, should I copy this post into the calabasas forum page..?!)

Sorry if this sounds confusing !! any advice will be much appreciated....

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,901 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: advice

First of all, outlet stores don't open until 10 am at the earliest, maybe 11 am. So are you just want to spend a couple of hours shopping?

Second, have you looked at hotels in Oxnard? There are some that are right by the beach. It's not Malibu, but will surely be less expensive.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,184 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: advice

Visit the nearby shopping center at "The Collection at Riverpark" in Oxnard, not even 5-10 minutes from the Camarillo Outlets.

Have a bite to eat there as the restaurants are actually pretty good. There's a new one that just opened after the Toby Keith's place shut down., It's called "Copper Blues" and they have live music in the evenings.

Enjoy.

Dr. Z

Here's a link to the Collection... http://thecollectionrp.com/

hants, uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: advice

Hi, yes planning to get to the outlet as soon as it opens for the morning.

Didnt look at Oxnard because im moving down the coastline (south towards LA) so coming "backwards" 30 mins to Oxnard means an hours drive to Venice beach the next day...?

Obviously staying in Malibu is ideal as its en route to where we go next, but pricey

Thats why Calabasas seemed good as a base? Im also looking at LA area but the way I am already staying in Hollywood the night after Santa Monica!!

Reluctant to cancel previous bookings now because the same hotels are now sold out Or much higher in price...!

Whats anyones views on M Malibu...?

Worth paying £££ for a great location or better to drive somewhere else thats a fraction of price.....

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
1 review
4. Re: advice

I'm not sure where the Malibu hotel is, maybe someone else knows but you can only enter the Getty Villa driving northbound. The website says they are open until 9pm on Saturdays only through the end of August, otherwise they do close at 5pm. You need reservations for the parking due to small parking lot, parking is $15 but admission is free.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,658 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: advice

There are no inexpensive hotels in Malibu - there's the Nobu one at $3,000/night and there's the Malibu Inn, about $1,000/night. There are a couple motels, that's it. Not worth staying there.

Honestly, I'm not understanding your itinerary at all, where you're in a different motel each night. Just stay all three nights at the Carmel. Call the hotel and ask them to match your booking.

6. Re: advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2018, 05:17