We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip Monterey to LA - need itinerary opinion

Warminster...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip Monterey to LA - need itinerary opinion

us and kids 12,10,8 coming from East Coast to cross another thing off the parents bucket list: Drving the PCH.

Are we taking too long to drive from Monterey to LA OR should we move quicker and check out a beach that is closer to LA as well for a day?

Plan:

Day One: Monterey for Aquarium and 17 Mile Drive

Day Two: Exploring Point Lobos State Park for day

Day Three: Exploring Pfiefer State Park for the day

Day Four: Hearst Castle and Sea Lion Place

Day Five: Moon stone beach, Pismo Beach area

Day SIx: Head into LA for weekend stay with Cousin.

I have read that you can do the drive up PCH in one day. We want to meander down and stop at the spots above. Are we wasting too much time? Should we move a little quicker and Blow off Moonstone Beach/Pismo for a different beach near LA?

We have a home on the beach in New Jersey - so our kids are used to "Being on the beach" - not a big deal "just to sit on a beach" for us - would rather have some more interesting things to see and do.

Thank you for any comments!

Theresa

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip Monterey to LA - need itinerary opinion

Here's a way to make good use of your time:

2 nights Monterey: Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row, Point Lobos, Carmel by the sea

1 night Cambria: Big Sur on the way (Bixby Bridge, Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Ragged Point, elephant seal rookery) Hearst Castle

1 night Santa Barbara

I believe that leaves you one additional night to play with. Either add it too Santa Barbara or a So Cal beach.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip Monterey to LA - need itinerary opinion

I am not a lover of Hearst Castle. I also don't think it's a great place for children (I remember a very fussy docent when I visited with mine, and I'm a stickler for good behavior, so it wasn't because I had an unruly child).

I would try to get stop at Solvang while heading down the coast. It is a Danish village with shops, restaurants, and some of the best pastry you can imagine. Great for a lunch stop and a stroll for about an hour or so.

http://www.solvangusa.com/

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip Monterey to LA - need itinerary opinion

"Are we taking too long to drive from Monterey to LA OR should we move quicker and check out a beach that is closer to LA as well for a day?"

I think you are taking too long to drive between the two, as we do it in one or two days and see everything. If you want to see Hearst Castle, it doesn't mean you have to spend the night. We would take a tour and then continue on to the next stop.

I think your kids would enjoy more time in the LA area, or Santa Monica.

4. Re: Family Trip Monterey to LA - need itinerary opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:15