We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Dade City, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

We will be flying in to LA and then spending 5 days in Pismo Beach and back to LA for the last 2 days of our trip. We are staying near the airport so we can drop off the rental car and have a shuttle to the airport. We'll be there on a Friday/Saturday.

First off from reading others threads, it seems to be best to take the a shared shuttle to Hollywood from the airport. Then my thought is to do the hop on hop off buses. 40 year old and a 16 year old - and she wants to see it all. Most of the bus tours seem to just drive by things and when they do stop it is 10-20 mins which doesn't seem like enough time to see everything, hence the reason we want to do the HOHO. Should we do 24 or 48 hours? I think we will be on the go the whole time so we should really use it. That said, I am also wondering about the Metro - I have used it in Chicago and DC and feel pretty comfortable with it in those cities - how does it compare to LA metro? Can you get to most sites with it?

And a very important question - the 16 year old will be turning 17 while we are there and wants a great resturant for a birthday dinner. Suggestions in the HOHO or metro areas?

I feel like I have thought this through and these are my main questions - looking forward to input!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

My first thought is that you'll have an easier and better time seeing the city--by HOHO, by transit, by car--if you stay away from the airport.

Dade City, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Well we have an early flight out and need to be nearby to have a shuttle from the hotel. Don't plan to stay at the hotel except to sleep :)

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

It really depends on what she wants to do, Hollywood can be fun but you have to know what you want to see. Yu may also be able to see a taping of on of the late night talk shows like Jmmy Kimmel Live. They usually film around 5 pm. If you are into baseball and it is in season, catching a dodger game is fun as well, depending on where you sit.

Finally what type of food would the 17 yr old be into, steak house, sushi, historical hollywood spot, thai, vegan. It will help in recomending a restaurant.

Dade City, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Well I would say she wants to see Rodeo Drive, the sign, the walks, the pier, a studio tour, no theme parks. Pretty much what the tour groups call the grand tour but we want to have time at the sites and not just drive by.

As far as food, historical hollywood spots, steak, asian, french. We'll be there in a month so not baseball time.

I have checked in to a few tapings and haven't had any luck so suggestions on those would be great.

Should we stay a night in the hollywood area and only stay by the airport the second night? I am looking at budget places like Quality Inn.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Re: staying at 2 different hotels, I would do it (my preference would be for you to stay at a hotel AWAY from the airport for both nights because I don't think the idea of 'having a shuttle to get to the airport for an early morning flight' requires that you be at an airport hotel). If you're worried about missing your flight, unless you have a history of oversleeping, it will take only 20 or 25 minutes longer to stay in a more central location which means getting up 20 or 25 minutes earlier than if you stayed at the airport and the difference to your visit will be dramatic.

Here are some options:

1. Stay at the airport (as you have planned) for one night and stay in Hollywood for the other night. Tell us your exact travel dates and we'll try to find you a great hotel but be aware airport hotels are CHEAP because they are far from attractions in an area that has nothing to walk to so you will pay a little more to be 'in town'.

2. Stay in the Westwood neighborhood. This neighborhood has an EXPRESS BUS connecting it to LAX; it's called the Westwood Flyaway Bus. On the weekends (without rush hour!), the bus makes the trip in 25 minutes. Compare that to a local 'hotel shuttle' that might make the trip in 5 or 10 minutes but might keep you waiting while it waits for other guests to fill up the van. In the long run, the Flyaway is more predictable as it is on a specific schedule.

Westwood is the 'village' next to UCLA (the university) so there's a pedestrian presence that you won't find at the airport. You can tour the campus, visit the wonderful Hammer Museum and choose from numerous restaurants of all types and in all price ranges.

3. Westwood is conveniently-located for public transit. Firstly, there is a HoHo stop next to the Hammer Museum near the corner of Westwood Bl & Wilshire Bl (a major intersection on the westside of L.A,). Next, Wilshire Bl has express buses (westbound) to Santa Monica (20 minutes) and eastbound to Beverly Hills (10 minutes). There are also buses to West Hollywood/Sunset Strip (30 minutes) and onto Hollywood (another 10 minutes). I mention the public buses because the HoHo tour ends at 6 pm so if you're in Hollywood when the tour ends, you can stay for dinner and then head back to the hotel using public transit.

Our metro system is primarily buses. While there is metro rail, most of it doesn't go to tourist destinations.

Dade City, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Our dates will be March 16/17 checking out on the 18th. Our flight leaves at 7am so I am concerned does the fly away bus run that early?

I am up for suggestions!!

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Hey folks,

Flying back from L.A and intending spending 2 days there after a Labor Day Weekender in Vegas. "I may be slightly worse for wear"

Looking for some advice on where to stay and what to do aswell.

I'm travelling wih my gf and were 30 and 26 and like a party be also some chill time during the day will be much needed.

Cheers in advance :D

Dade City, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Ok I have decided to make it 3 days (March 15-18) - keeping the car the first day. What sites should we hit with the car while we have it? Looking at the forums I am thinking Rodeo Drive (a few hours free parking). Any other suggestions? 2nd day thinking Hollywood area and a TV show, 3rd day the A day in LA tour. 3rd night at a hotel near the airport for simplicity sake. Other 2 nights I am up for suggestions! 1st night will have the car, 2nd night won't.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

Here is info on the Westwood FlyAway bus.

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4698

Unfortunately the earliest bus leaves Westwood at 6AM. If your flight is at 7AM that really won't give you enough time. Instead you'd want to use a shared van (www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com) or a taxi at that hour.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA for 2 days - want to make the best of it!

There are some great sushi joints in the Hollywood area, I can think of about 6 different ones, including Murakami, Urasawa in BHills, Kura.

Steak places Fogo De Chao is all you can eat Brazilian style, great quality, but if you are not big eaters, then not worth the price. Mastro's in BH is very nice, Animal is a more trendy place near by.

LA landmark restaraunts- Musso and Franks, opened in 1919 and has been visited by a slew of famous actors, authors and singers since the 20's also a good meal. check the link for more info. You may even catch a glimpse of a star having dinner.

www.seeing-stars.com/Dine2/musso&frank.shtml