We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

Hello Experts!

I will be spending a week in California this March. Trying to decide whether to start in San Francisco or Los Angeles. Which city would be the best to spend St. Patricks Day? Will be with my 19 year old child so can't go to Pub Crawls etc.

Also, had planned to start bidding on Priceline this weekend for hotels.....but guessing that St. Patricks Day celebrations will lessen my chances of getting a deal. Any suggestions?

Thank You all for your time and help!!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

If you are unable to drink there is pretty much nothing to do for St. Patrick's Day. There may be a community event happening somewhere but I am unaware of them.

Maybe you can go to McDonalds and get a Shamrock Shake?

Dr. Z

NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

Ha!!! Thanks for the information! Good news for us because we would rather see more of the city and less leprechuans on this trip! :)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

Agree, in LA at least St. Patrick's day activities are pretty much confined to bars.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

Can't tell from your post if you are looking to avoid a St. Patrick's Day Parade, or to view one.

About 5 miles south of LAX is the hometown Annual St. Paddy's Parade in Hermos Beach. It begins at Pier Ave. and Valley Dr. at 11 am. Craft and food booths at the base of the pier at the Plaza. Live bands and step dancers, on stage, unitl 5 PM.

…patch.com/articles/everybodys-irish-at-herm…

NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

You're right, my posts were confusing... CAnative! Bottom line is that I'm hoping to get better room rates and avoid extra traffic with NO St. Patricks Day celebrations UNLESS there is an event going on that is a "must see" thing. Thanks for the tip on Hermosa Beach. :)

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

L.A. is kind of a dud for St. Patrick's Day. I leave L.A. and head to San Diego for St. Paddy's Day fun, but again, there is always plenty of drinking involved. Not good for teenagers. I've heard San Francisco is more festive. L.A. should be just like any other day.

ROSEVILLE
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

I want to catch the Timberwolves (yes, they are better than they have been in a lot of years) and the Lakers at Staples Center on the 16th of March and participate in some St. Patrick's Day festivities! Do I stay in LA or drive down to San Diego---where I fly back to the Twin Cities in the afternoon on the 18th??? From what I have seen---San Diego has more of a St. Patrick's Day festival--and--in LA--it is just a bit of a party in some of the bars?!?! Anyway---is there something that I have missed???

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

St Patricks Day has no effect on room availability or room rates at all.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

Hi Wayne,

If you leave L.A. by 9:00am, you can get to San Diego in about 2 hours. If you leave any later, you'll get stuck in traffic. San Diego just seems to get more into the St. Paddy's spirit. There's a parade and festival that many people dress up to attend. The parade can run a little long, but the festival and beer gardens afterward are a lot of fun.

There are a couple of other events I know of: "Drinking Made Easy"s Zane Lamprey is hosting a party:

www.zanelamprey.com/zane-patricks-day.html

There's a music festival:

http://www.sandiegoshamrock.com/

And there are some Irish pubs in the Gaslamp District. "The Field" comes to mind as a good one:

http://www.thefield.com

Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be the one wearing green.

San Dimas...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Patricks Day in Los Angeles

Check out the Grove Theatre in Anaheim on St. Pat's Day. Great concert!