We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Trip Plan

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Trip Plan

I have a very general plan for our upcoming April LA trip. Please let me know what you think and add anything that you think we must do! : ) It is our first trip there and we are in our mid-30's. We will have a car, but we don't mind walking long distances. We are very easy going and like to do about everything but shop! We love live music and enjoy trying local wine/beer/foods. We would like to take a little time one day and drive up the coast. We will be there for about 5 days. Sorry that this is so long! : )

Friday - We fly into LAX around 9:30 pm. Figured we would find the hotel, check in and have dinner somewhere close by. Thinking of staying at The Hollywood Bed & Breakfast (haven't booked yet but it has great reviews and decent prices.)

Saturday - Full day of exploring Hollywood (Walk of Fame - that kind of touristy stuff.)

Sunday - Thinking of spending one day at California Adventure. We have been to Disney World (we actually both interned there in college.) Trying to decide if we really want to do this or not! May just be neat to see the differences from Orlando.

Monday - I requested Price is Right tickets (8:30 tix) not sure if we are going to do this or not. Is it fun and worth the time? I don't know of anyone who has done it. The rest of the day is open. I also requested Jay Leno but haven't heard back. No luck on Ellen. Any other fun shows to try to get to?

We will check out of Hollywood B&B and head to somewhere beachy, was looking at the Inn @ Playa del Rey. Any other suggestions on B&B's? It doesn't have to been on the beach, but close to walk or ride bikes. It looks like there is a bike trail that we could start out around Marina del Rey and ride to places like Venice and Santa Monica Pier. Thoughts?

Tuesday - Beach!

Wednesday - Beach again? We don't fly out until close to 6 pm.

Thanks for all of your help! Can't wait!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Trip Plan

Flying into LA at 9:30pm, means 11:30pm your time and probably it will take another hour to get luggage and car. I'd stay at a LAX hotel and then rent a car the next morning, but I'm getting old, lol!

I would also consider seeing the LA portions first, even staying in Santa Monica and then head south to Orange County and Anaheim and the beaches there. It is a long drive from Hollywood to Disneyland. I would visit both parks, the 1 day hopper is not that much more!

Day 1 Fri: arrive late. Stay near LAX or at b&b

Day 2 Sat: Hollywood sightseeing. Maybe take a hop on hop off tour bus.

Day 3 Sun: Santa Monica beach day and even drive a bit up the coast. Great little fish place Neptunes Net. Wonderful beaches along the way. April can be chilly, we were there in July and had a cool, windy day!

Day 4 Mon: Price is Right. I would consider heading to Orange County this night for the beach! Or maybe take in a studio tour or Universal Studios.

Day 5 Tues: Up early and head to Anaheim and Disneyland/California Adventure. I would get a 1 day hopper, Disneyland is the original and is different than Magic Kingdom. Stay in Huntington or Newport Beach.

Day 6 Wed: Beach day in Newport, Huntington beaches, then to airport!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,928 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Trip Plan

There is no reason to drive all the way to Orange County for the beach! If you are already heading that way for something else, it is a good choice, but a special trip for beach is not a must. Your plan to stay in Marina del Rey is good, especially for renting bikes and exploring that way.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Trip Plan

I agree on the advice to do a 1 day park hopper for DL/DCA. Some attractions in the parks are the same or similar to what is at WDW and some are totally different or don't exist. I would take the day and hit the highlights of both. I would also consider moving your DL/DCA day to a weekday for lighter crowds (unless you are coming at Spring break then it probably won't matter much). The trade off is there may not be certain evening shows running but World of Color should be running nightly and I would think that is the one you would go to (Fantasmic is similar enough and a total mess with the crowds unlike WDW and its seating and I am sure you have seen plenty of WDW fireworks).

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Trip Plan

I'd reverse the order of things. Since you'll be arriving late, I'd go to the Inn at Playa del Rey on the first night and I'd use a taxi to do it (why wait for the 'free shuttle' to the rental lot -- which could take a while to arrive at that hour -- waste time, stopping at up to 8 other terminals at the airport, line up at the car rental place -- FORGET IT. Just jump in a taxi and in less than 10 minutes, you'll be at the Inn). There are a number of eating places within a 10-minute walk of the Inn.

My 2-cents re: Disneyland: if you only want to see CA Adventure, just do that. No reason to march in lockstep to the hoards of people that arrive at LAX, exit the city of Los Angeles and immerse themselves in theme parks. L.A. is the second largest city in the U.S. with 100s of attractions (none of them are theme parks). Explore!

Chicago
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Trip Plan

Thanks everyone! Good call on looking at when spring break is for Disney crowds! I didn't even think of that! And wouldn't you know it, I just looked at the LAUSD website and it's the same week we are there! But I should have known to look at that! We are going that week because that's my spring break at school!! Haha! Chicago Pubic usually has one of the later breaks so I didn't think about it. Oh well! May scrap the Disney plan for another trip. I know how miserable it can be when it's packed and I know there is so much more to do!

I'm not so worried about the first night , even with the time change and traveling, we are usually so excited to be on vaca that we forget about being tired!! : ) Luckily, we are really good at packing light and never check bags so we won't have to wait for luggage. Is it really that bad to get a car at that time? Figured traffic won't be so bad at that hour so it shouldn't take us very long to get to the Hollywood B &B. Although, I have been stuck on our interstates at that time especially on a Friday!

What did you guys think of the Price is Right? Worth the time?

Hmm, I will bring a sweater, but I am sure it will feel like heaven from the weather we are coming from! : ) But I can't complain, we have had a very mild winter this year!! Will lookout for Neptune's Net!

What other restaurants/bars do you recommend. We like the places that aren't in the tour books or off the wall places! We were just in Austin in Jan and found awesome $1 breakfast tacos at the Latino Arts Association! It was one of our favorite finds that trip! : )

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Trip Plan

" looking at the Inn @ Playa del Rey. Any other suggestions on B&B's? It doesn't have to been on the beach, but close to walk or ride bikes. It looks like there is a bike trail that we could start out around Marina del Rey and ride to places like Venice and Santa Monica Pier. Thoughts? "

We've stayed at Inn at PDR, for Birthday's, etc. even though it's only 15 min. from our home, it's a fun respite on weekends.

If you are looking for a place about a block up from the ocean, the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, a few miles south of LAX, lends bikes and beach chairs to their guests. They also have free parking! They are walking distance to shops and restaurants, pubs, etc.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

The bike path runs as long as 22 miles, and goes to Venice and Santa Monica to the north and the other beach cities of Hermosa and Redondo Beach.

Downtown MB has a great pier to walk out on to watch the surfers and volleyball players, bike riders, skaters and boogie boarders.

www.youtube.com/watch…

7. Re: Tentative Trip Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 10:21