We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

bangkok
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

We're arriving late afternoon from overseas and wanna do the usual stuff - Disneyland, Venice Beach, Planetarium before heading towards Vegas.

Can you point out a good-value accommodation - maybe even something along the beach? Within reasonable reach?

Many thanks in advance.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,724 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

Please tell us how much you wish you spend per night.

bangkok
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

Well budget is flexible, we like the smaller, cozy places, not the big hotels, the lower the price the better, but nevertheless it should be nice and comfortable... I know, that's asking for much...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

I enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame in Hollywood. It's walking distance to a metro station, one stop from Universal Studios, plus all that Hollywood has to offer, including shopping and restaurants.

It's not very old ... and the rooms are large and clean, they have a pool and free hot breakfast.

It gets good reviews on TA. It's so central you can drive anywhere from here, then head to Las Vegas. For Disneyland, head south on 101 and the I-5. Actually I'd stay the night before in Anaheim, do Disneyland, stay another night then head to Las Vegas on he I-15 from there.

www.hollywoodandhighland.com

This website is for the huge complex on the corner, a 5-minute walk from the hotel.

Other popular hotels in the area include Magic Castle, Hollywood Celebrity and Orchid Suites.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

If you want the beach, and close to Disneyland at a reasonable price, Newport Beach has a couple of great choices in highly rated at TA locations that match your description...

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32780-d78646-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32780-d78664-R…

Both are great choices and right on the water. About a 30 minute drive to Disneyland.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

How many days will you be in town? How many days do you want to go to Disneyland? Unfortunately, the sights are rather spread out. The "planetarium" you are probably thinking of is at the Griffith Observatory (www.griffithobs.org) near Hollywood. Disneyland is about 30 miles south of there. If you want to spend more than one day in the main LA area (Hollywood, Venice, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, etc.) and more than one day at Disney, it can make sense to split apart your stay to avoid long back and forth drives.

For beach area hotels, there are a few places you can try in Santa Monica (which is just north of Venice Beach) - Seaview Hotel and Sea Shore hotel are two that I'd start with. Another good beachfront hotel that's not too expensive is the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,038 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

You should check out the Sea View Inn, in Manhattan Beach, a few miles south of LAX. Very reasonable rooms and apartments only a block up from the beach. Free parking and free use of bikes and beach chairs. Two freeways near by.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

bangkok
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

Thank you all for the valuable input.

Would there be anything more centrally located, say, somehow in the middle of Griffith Observatory, Hollywood, Venice Beach, Anaheim and the airport?

We'll only spend a short time in L.A., a day in Disneyland and a day for Venice, Hollywood and Griffiths Observatory.

So we're talking about 3 nights.

Edited: 30 January 2012, 14:30
8. Re: Nice, affordable L.A. stay for a few days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 10:26